Panasonic SC-AK630K Mini Systems

• Heavy bass sound
  • Bi-wiring System

Submitted by bllyhanson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Panasonic SC-AK630 is the best sound system I've owned! It's very reasonably priced! The built-in decible meter is very useful in my apartment because I don't need to disturb the neighbors! The sound quality is excellent!

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Submitted by wrichardt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Panasonic SC-AK630 is the “Great” end to a long search. I set out looking for a Mini/Shelf system that would give me ground shaking Bass, a sustaining Mid range, and crisp and clear Treble at a good price. You know, the most “BOOM” for my buck.

I wrote of a search earlier. This search began by perusing electronic review sites. After
2 mos. of browsing electronic departments and conducting sound checks, I narrowed my selection to the following choices:

SONY’s MHC-GX450

Philips FWM587
FWC579

Panasonic’s SC-AK520
SC-AK610

While most of these systems had great sound, I originally decided on the SONY MHC-GX450. Even the “BOSS” (my wife) agreed that this was a great sounding system. So I set off to buy the unit, but on a whim I decided to look in one more store. And there, still in the box, sitting beside the SONY MHC-GX450 was the SC-AK630 with a $199.00 price tag. It was love at first sight. I hoped it would sound as good as it looked. I’d noticed, during my two-month search, that some Audio Shelf Systems look as if hyperactive aliens designed them. That is not the case with the SC-AK630. This system is well designed with clean attractive lines. The SONY’s design seemed sterile by comparison. The only change I would make to the SC-AK630 would be longer speaker wire, an easy fix by purchasing extra speaker wire.

I just had to conduct a sound battle between the two systems. It took a little convincing, but they were nice enough to set the system up for me. At this point I’d like to thank the employees of Wal-Mart for indulging me through all of this, and to apologize to any customers I might have disturbed. It was quite a showdown, but in the end the GX450’s 400 watts just couldn’t match the SC-AK630’s 450 watts.

The SC-AK630 comes with 3 separate amps for high, mid, and low range. This allows for clear, crisp, and sustaining sound at all volume levels, my initial criteria’s were met. The sub woofer comes with a mid and max setting. So you can have either a low rumble or you could knock the books off your shelf. The choice is yours. I had a dinner party a week ago, and every guest asked where I got the great sounding system. The SC-AK630 also comes with 6 preset EQ settings (Disco, Hall, Live, Heavy, Soft, and Clear). It also has an H-Bass setting that gives the system a deep dynamic sound that has to be heard, to be believed. At mid volume level I can hear the music clearly from every room in my 2000 sq. ft. home.

The SC-AK630’s Remote (batteries included) and Center console controls are easy to understand. The system also comes with rear audio jacks for your gaming system and television surround sound. The 5-disc CD system plays CD-Audio, MP3 and CD-R/RW.It also has a dual cassette player. Hey, say what you want I still use them.

The bottom line is “This is one great system”. If you can find one that sounds and looks better, for the same price, I’ll eat my review (figuratively speaking of course).

“Kudos” to Panasonic for creating a truly remarkable system.

Happy Hunting.