Panasonic SC-AK25 Mini System Mini Systems

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by danny a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
r

Submitted by Jonathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I enjoy find audio, but being a college student means my budget doesn't allow for exspensive speakers. Additionally, my small dorm doesn't have room for large speakers. So a decent mini system fits the bill.

My previous Aiwa system was a bit of a dissapointment. The CD player stopped working. So, I was in search of a new mini system. The Panasonic SAK24 fit the bill. With twin "Super Woofers" the bass sounded the best out of all the $200-300 systems.

Once I got it home, it sounded great, especially compared to my Aiwa. It is also well made. the speakers are bi-wired. The boxes are constructed better than my Aiwa's. Additionally, the amp/tuner is all metal, has a great "floating" display, a cool silver finish, and a 5 disc player.

After listening to it for a few months, I started to notice weaknesses. The midrange is muddy, bass can be overwhelming and distort (then again, the "Super Woofers" aren't true subwoofers), and treble wasn't exactly crisp. Then again most of the systems in the price range either have shrill treble, poor midrange, or poor bass.

Out of boredom I ripped out the wires and got some thicker wire. I removed all four sets of wires and completely rewired them (not a project for the average person). Sound improved tremendously. Bass is cleaner, and I can get away with just using the "mid" setting for the Super Woofers -- "high" is too overbearing but "mid" is just right. Sound over all improved.

Jonathan

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had my SC-AK25 for two and a half years. When I first bought it, I was very impressed by the sound. This system is so small and compact, you'd never expect the bass to hit so hard from a 14cm woofer at 50 watts/channel. The sound is so clean because of the bi-amplification. I then got rid of the factory speakers and hooked up my Sansui SP-X8000s. You'd never expect such a small shelf system could drive such a large floor standing speaker. I just connected the Sansui's to the "high" inputs because they only had one set of inputs. Just recently, I found out that I can bi-amp my Sanui's for even better clarity and thundering bass. I then separated the woofer from the mids/highs, connecting the woofer to the "low" input and conecting the mids/highs to the "high" input. Now I'm driving my 16" 8 ohm woofer with 25 watts at 3 ohms, and driving the 8 ohm mids/highs at 25 watts at 3 ohms. Now my system is customized to what I want, and the sound is unbelievable! I challenge anyone who can bring a system at 50 watts/channel and think that the sound on their system can even compete with mine. I'll blow them away!

Purchased At:   Navy Exchange

Submitted by fil a

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Their maybe better mini systems out their but this one gives you a great value for a good price. The bass is impresive for a small system. Have had this system since November 98 and am very happy that I purchased it after reading a review in consumer reports giving it high marks.

Submitted by f c a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
i dont know what year i bought this but you gotta love the bass on this. no distortion
i think its discontinued now (too bad) but u should be able to get really good deals on it
under 200 bucks