JVC UX-C7 Mini System Mini Systems

3.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

9 watts per channel, 6 disk elevator changer

Submitted by Andrew Wardlaw a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this Scince 1996 and ever scince I bought it I have loved it. It has great sound quality and really has great bass! I love it to peices!

Submitted by Darren Yeats a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've listened to many products competing with the UX-C30 but none have come close at the price.
The main strength is it's musical, enjoyable sound. Note my main system is a decent one, built around a Krell KSA-100 and PMC AB1 monitors: I'm not that easy to please. The UX-C30 falls far short of my main system from a hifi point of view...but is right up there on enjoyment.
So. If you want boomy bass or a stereo that looks like a spaceship, look elsewhere than the UX-C30. The UX-C30 won't appeal to the sort of readers who like cheap subwoofers in their cars. It will appeal to readers who enjoy listening to a wide range of music, including instrumental.
For example, unlike most other boom-boxes, turning the volume to maximum does not cause dangerous levels of distortion. You can leave it there for the whole party without your ears curling up and dying.
What bass there is, is reasonably tuneful and well weighted rather than boomy (although there is some boom unless you position the speakers carefully, and you must use the bass boost function). Bass extension, although not terrific, is surprising given the price and size of the unit. The treble is smooth and relatively ungrainy. The vocals vary between pleasant and surprisingly good. The imaging is iffy but central vocals can hang in midair convincingly.
The summary: like all good stereo's, it hides its weaknesses well through a pleasant overall presentation. Value for money 6 out of 5 stars in my opinion.

Submitted by Greg a

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had a UX-C7 for almost four years now. It's sound is pretty good, but the bass is pretty weak and the bass extention system just makes it sound worse. I have two major complaints about it. One, the CD changer often jams, I don't even keep all the screws in place anymore and the random function doesn't work properly - it repeats tracks that have already been played. Other than that it is a nice unit for $250, but because of the mechanical flaws I have to downgrade it.

Submitted by Bruce Smith a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had the UX-C30 for two or three years now. Actually, it resides in my wife's home office. We love it, dissing by self-proclaimed audiophiles notwithstanding. I cannot compare, of course, with our main (and improving) system, but for what it is, it does just fine.
Imagine getting a 3-cd changer (tray-style) and a auto-reverse, Dolby-B tape deck in such a small space, for a small price (if I remember correctly, I paid around 225)!

The CD can be set to play just one CD, even if more than one are loaded, or it can be set to continue to the next CD.

If you're looking for a showpiece, go elsewhere, but if you need an extra system to put in a small space, consider the UX-C30 a pretty good option.

Submitted by Philip a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been trying to buy a JVC UX-C7 for the last month and have been unable to locate it. It seems to have been superceeded by a three disc changer model. My brother had bought the UX-c7 back from Japan 2 years ago and I was most impressed with the features, and the sound. So I am trying to find the 6 Disc changer model. I am intrigued by the variation in the reviews of this JVC model, as the one I have heard was very good and is performing very well in a dusty workshop. If you know where I can get one please let me know. Test the power of the net!