JVC FS-1000 Mini Systems

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

JVC Executive Minisystem, replaced by FS-5000 and newer...

Submitted by Cody Kinski a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm late with this review by almost ten years, but as this unit is still being sold on eBay and elsewhere, I want to chime in with some praise -- even after all these years!

I've used this unit heavily -- at times up to eighteen hours a day, for weeks -- and while it hasn't been abused in the process, I've asked it to be a real work-horse, and it's done well with only two problems. For about a year I had a couple of large tower speakers connected to it (as well as its own speakers), and it performed very well -- in fact I eventually got rid of the floor speakers because while that configuration sounded great, it produced too much volume for a densely-packed urban neighborhood, so I was seldom able to use them above level three or so.

The two problems I've had, after almost ten years, are that the automatic lid now needs a little urging with the fingers to open fully. It closes fine using the button on the unit or the remote.

The other problem occurred when the remote suddenly died. In trying to replace it online, I learned from a friendly online seller of remotes (google the first thing that comes into your head when searching for remotes, and you'll find the seller) that many times dead remotes can be revived using the simple method of

removing the batteries, pushing every button on the remote in succession, replacing the batteries, and voila! It works again!

I mention this because another reviewer was looking to replace the remote, though quite awhile ago. If this is a problem with your FS-1000, try the above before replacing a dead remote. It could save you time and money. Incidentally, that particular fix seems to reboot most remotes -- it's worked three times for me now with three different types of remotes.

Over time, this little set has been one of the best small investments I've made. It still sounds great, works consistently, and even the design looks undated. Mine is sitting near my nearly-new monitor on my desk, and both look similar in terms of design.

With so many years of use and so little trouble, this is still an excellent system and worth buying if you can find it anywhere, especially now that its price is likely to be quite low.

Purchased At:   Sherman's, Boston

Submitted by Richard a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
JVC FS-2000 is an attractive little unit with good quality sound. Setting the alarm is a little complicated. Best use a backup alarm clock for important morning meetings just in case you screw up. I would like to purchase another remote from somebody. Any sellers?

Purchased At:   Vancouver, Canada

Submitted by phatgreatwall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
i same bought this unit at costo , it has the most clean, stylish look without all the new ugly stylish other units have, its straight line figure make me love it at first sight, the unit itself has the same height as the spears, and almost the same size, the sound is great, bass is something i've never experienced, with this tiny system, by far the smallest unit jvc has ever made, it has the strengh to rock the house and raise to roof as those gigantic useless speakers

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Claire Smyth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit at Costco in 1998. I looked at it in 1997, but not have the money at the time. What I liked best about the unit was the clean styling AND the sound quality proved to be excellent.

There was some reluctancy on my end to purchase JVC since I had problems with previous JVC products, and many of my friends have had problems with JVC as well. I'm pleased to say that there's been no problems with this system, even for the fact it's a first year model and it's three years later..

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for a while and it has never given me any problems what so ever. Sounds beatuiful, would be very nice in a bedroom or office. I wish I did get the cherry wood speakers though. I love the options esp. audio out and you can by pass the d/a processor. I have just purchased the Sennheiser HD 580 (see my other review on the 580's) and the combo is nearly perfect. I am purchasing a MG head tube headphone amp to sweeten the sound even further and perhaps make use of the toslink out on a external D/A converter. This little unit is very nice. You get a lot of options for the price. Great Value !!

Purchased At:   Sears