Denon DM-3 Mini Systems

4.33/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Submitted by Mitch Furno a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
DENON UMD-30
A very clean and smooth sounding unit. The design is classic and display is adequately bright. If you're limited for space and budget, this is the system for you. Comparable to Yamaha and Nakamichi. I've added Paradigm Cinema series speakers and they elevate the system to a higher level.

Purchased At:   Fillion Electronique

Submitted by Max K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
*******This is a review for DM30, which does have the pause for the CD.*********** ;-)

The sound of this system is quite good for the money. However, you do need to work on the speakers placement to achieve the best sound, but that is expected for the system that has to descent speakers.

I did some shopping around, and looked at primarily at two brands: Yamaha and Dennon. I have a Yamaha receiver for my HT and I love it, so I wanted to stay with Yamaha brand; however, I liked the Dennon sound better than that from Yamaha Pianocraft. Possibly because of the speakers. But the only people who don't need to worry about positioning of speakers for stereo, are the once who've already done that and the once who've purchased the Bose Wave radio. The former once had spent some time, the later once overpaid $399. (Sorry, I had to do that! ;-)).

The unit itself is pretty heavy for its size (don't know the exact weight, but it is in the manual) and so are the speakers. There are few sets of inputs on the back to hook up other sources. Good bonus.

The unit did come with all of the wires and antenna in the box. Setting it up was easy, I did not need the manual which I browsed through looking for some unusual caution notes. I cannot comment on the quality of the manual, because I have not really read it, since I've not used any of the advanced features (Alarm/timer for example).

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. If anyone is thinking on above average clock/alarm stereo combination, I would greately advice this system. I use it in the bedroom, and it seems to workout quite well.

Purchased At:   Hypeaudio.com

Submitted by Mike Whitlow a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Too much of a chance of the unit failing. I would wait until the company gets its act together about reliabiltiy before buying.

Purchased At:   J and R Music World

Submitted by Gary Sirles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
DID NOT WORK...BUYER BEWARE...CD player stopped playing after ONLY 30 minutes usage.

Purchased At:   consumer-direct.com

Submitted by Bruce Z. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
***NOTE: This is for DM-30, supposedly a successor of DM-3.

I went out to buy this highly acclaimed DM-3 last weekend from a Denon dealer here. They told me D-M3(as called here in Europe) is discontinued and is replaced by D-M30. (I checked Denon Europe's website, it's true). And they comes as standalone unit instead of a package with Mission speakers. D-M30 cost US$337 itself.

Anyway, they also has B&W 302 on sale (US$154 a pair) so asked to hook them togather and listened with my CDs, blues, pop, dance. And I'm quite amazed at the clarity and power of this little silverish beauty, kind of love in the first sight. I'm no audiophile so I might be easily overwhelmed but I did compare it with other much expensive stuff in the shop and it stacks well considering its size and price.

Also I noticed some small changes over D-M3, although the spec looks quite similar:

1) There is now a pause button on the remote (model number RC-877) for CD playback. Although the remote is still not the most intuitive kind, I can do everything on the remote now, well, except eject the CD-tray. There is still no mute button.

2) The tone control is improved. There is no pre-setting any more, you can choose: source direct (no tone control), bass adjust, treble adjust, and Super Dynamic Bass (SDB).

3) The front cover layout is different.

Maybe I should start a new listing for D-M30... But need to play with it more to have a overall feeling.

Bruce Z.