Denon D M50 3 CD Micro System Mini Systems

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

The D-M50 personal audio system combines a CD changer/tuner/amplifier electronics module with Mission MS-50 loudspeakers, providing outstanding sound quality and ease-of-use. Featuring 30 watts of power per channel, the D-M50 includes a 3 disc CD changer that lets you change discs while one CD is playing. The tuner section features Radio Data System (RDS) functions, including station name, current time, program type and other functions when listening to an RDS radio station.

Submitted by ericdy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm only posting now because this is the first problem I've had with my DM50 which I've had for nearly 4 years. For a mini system it sounds fine, the cd playback and radio are good. I've also got the Mini-disc recorder which works well. I would recommend using a subwoofer with it. I would not buy this product again though. The cd changer is the main problem. It is a very bad design, makes an awful racket(the marbles description is entirely accurate)and takes a long time to switch discs. From the day I received it I've been worried the the mechanism would break and it finally has. About a year after I bought it the machine seemed to develop a mind of its own and saw fit to eject the cd tray whenever it was powered down. It would close again after it was turned on and then off. Now it has completely given up and jammed. It won't open or change discs. I'll be sending it in for repair if the cost is not prohibitive. The other drawback is that the remote control and functions of the display are not very intuitive. In conclusion, the sound quality is good, but the mechanical design is poor, in general I think cd-changers are delicate contraptions, this design being exceptionally poor, I think you are better off with a single disc player and I won't ever purchase another changer.

Purchased At:   Peter Tyson UK

Submitted by music fan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great sound for a small package. Main unit is rather long with protruding power supply. Reliability and warranty service a problem. CD player noisy and slow.

Submitted by Fred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for my kitchen, because of its small size and sound quality. I use Mission 731i speakers in my study, but have never owned Denon equipment before.

Unfortunately, when the unit arrived, the cd player did not work. I returned the unit for servicing, under warranty, but the cd player broke after one week. I am returning for further warranty service, but am not optimistic. My one star review reflects the fact that the unit does not work after warranty service.

Submitted by Luke Phillips a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm very impressed with this unit so far (bought today and spent all evening listening to it!). I agree about the noisy CD changer, which is a pity, but as long as it works properly I don't mind. I haven't noticed the hum that some people have criticised the M30 for, and I guess it could be true what one guy mentioned, about filtered sockets and being sensible about the power supply. I'm using a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ speakers, and the sound absolutely beats the pants of a Sony SP55MD - no comparison whatsoever. This combination gives a clean, open sound which is really well balanced and very well articulated, certainly in comparison with the Sony, which (particularly with the supplied speakers) is absurdly bass/vocal tuned, to such a degree that a lot of midrange detail is almost inaudible. I got the Sony for its MiniDisc player; now I'm going to have to look out for a bargain matching Denon player for this! The Sony was at least a bargain (£350 including MD and cassette), but the sound of it irritated me, whereas this Denon setup is more comparable to my Cyrus SL/Cambridge Audio D500/TDL RTL 3. Highly recommended if you want decent audio in a tiny and quite stylish box, though the power supply at the back looks like they forgot they had to put it on! Those little buttons look like they might break off one day, too ...

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Rick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall a nice unit that really gives the living room a full rich sound with tone controls set flat. This unit will produce very loud listening levels, without audible distortion, and I have not had it "wide open" yet. These systems do not come with speakers in Canada and I paid $424 CDN for it. I put a set of Mirage FRX1 and a Mirage FRXs-8 subwoofer with it. These speakers sounded much better than the Polk Audio speakers the system was initially displayed with (forget the model #). This system/speaker combination will give more than enough bass if you want it. I have the crossover set at about 60 HZ and the level control to about 7...just enough to fill out the low end. The speakers by thenmselves have really good bass response for a 5.25" driver. If you want good sound from a small unit and are willing to spend a little more I recommend this package. The first time we fired this system up it we played "Midnight Hour" by The Committments and it sent chills down my spine it sounded so good. I recommend it.

Purchased At:   Soundsaround