Denon D F100 Mini Hi Fi System Mini Systems

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

The D-F100 has been designed to make it easier for you to access Denons rich, high-quality sound. Not only is this mini Hi-Fi system a breeze to
operate, the main unit of each component is also only 270mm wide, 84mm high, and 290mm deep, enabling you to set them up snugly just about
anywhere in your home, such as on a bookshelf or a bay windowsill. The D-F100 is the envy of the industry in both size and quality of sound.
The Receiver unit features a high-capacity heatsink and a large transformer to produce a clean, powerful sound; the CD Player uses an 8-times
oversampling digital filter to reproduce a lively, fresh sound. Along with its low power consumption during standby to help preserve the environment, the D-F100 is bound to enrich your life.

Submitted by islandmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wanted a small system for my bedroom, but not a "boombox" system. I tested a few, but the new Denon D-F100mC is amazing. I set it next to my Harman Kardon (105 watts/channel) and Paradigm Mk 9 series II (or something like that). At anything less than wall shaking volume, the Denon and Mission speakers blow the much larger and more $$ system away. Sterio imaging is incredible. Off axis response seems to be >90 % on axis response. The speakers almost seem to be 360 degree sources.
These small Mission speakers produce more clean, tight bass than I thought possible. When placed not too near a wall, they do not pump or boom. On stands, the response flattens out. You notice no mid-bass bump.

Obviously, this is a modest "bookshelf" system, not a mega-concert-knock-the-walls-down-crack-the-ceiling-reproduce-the-London-Philharmonic system. It blows away a lot of mid level systems. I am not comparing it to Krell and Magnepan, but to Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony.

Purchased At:   SpectraVox

Submitted by islandmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Purchased At:   SpectraVox

Submitted by Nil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me add some more clarification regarding speaker " weakness" . I meant to elaborate on that, but lost track. Due to its low sensitivity, it takes little more power for system to come alive, and sound relatively effortless( around between 10-11 clock position). Simply at lower volume, where mostly this system will be used at, at night, before a listener goes to bed, in a quite surroundings this problem will go away. The neat thing is that, the system has rock solid imaging. Try listening at a sweet spot location, and the " weakness' will not be even an issue. That is always a trade-off: laid back sound, on a casual listen, seemed to be coming from distance, hence giving an impression that the speaker is struggling. For livelier forward sound, try it with different speakers.

Submitted by Nil Patel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
This denon system indeed has reference sound among mini systems. Added sub woofer enhances its performance. The instruments sounds like instruments. Violin sounds like violin, piano sounds like piano, trumpet sounds like trumpet. Only problem(depends how you look at it) is that, as described by the reviewer before me, that the speakers have rather laid back sound and at times, it feels that speakers are having hard time getting the sound out. I think, it is because the speakers relatively low sensitivity, for them requiring more power. The sound is quite a contrast to the Yamaha MCR-E150 system I bought earlier, liked it very much( boy that system rocks), but exchanged for this due to its Tonal balance and a reference quality, non-hi-fi sound. Would changing to other speakers would get more out of the system? Probably yes, with right kind of speakers, but at an added extra cost. I might try it with B&W DM305. I don't know why previos reviewer said lack biwring a wealness? The speakers has two pairs of terminals.
Forgot to mention. Good quality interconnect and speaker cables will improve the sound a great deal further. I am using MIT T3 and Tara Labs RSC speaker cables. I am going to try different interconnects in future. In all a great system in small gorgeous package.I put 4 stars for overall rating but I mean 4.5, only due to speakers struggle at times

Purchased At:   The Good guys

Submitted by Sergio Leal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I initially went for this product based on its design, knowing that if size wasn't a problem a normal sized system of the same price could outperform the Denon. Since the choice for the system was already made I only had to choose the cables and speakers. About the interconnect I ended up choosing the Straigtwire Musicable II, along with a copper speaker cable since the silver colored cables gave the system an unpleasant piercing treble along with a lack of bass. The choice of the speakers was between the Mission 700, KEF Cresta 1, JPW 310, BW 601 S2 and Tannoy Revolution R1 . The Mission were the starters because of the price, and although they delivered a neutral and pleasant presentation it could be improved on, since they sounded slightly distant, as if the sound was struggling to get out. The KEF followed but they were immediately discarded because they sounded harsh and too light on bass. The JPW were also rejected because the bass fell out of control frequently. The Tannoy gave me what I expected from the system, a neutral presentation with some weight on the bass, with the same tonal balance of the Mission but with more clarity. Wet the BW made the system reveal itself, with a sound that exceeded its tiny size due to an added weight on the bass without losing clarity. Although they were the most expensive pair on the test I ended up taking it. I never tested this system with the Mission 771 that are shown on the picture, but I suspect that it will fall short on bass, although the treble should be very detailed. This assumption is based on my experience with a pair of 773e that uses the same treble unit and 2 woofers in a bigger box to achieve an equilibrated presentation. Since the 771 have the same treble and only one woofer unit in a small cabinet I am suspicious of how it would sound. I must advise everyone to hear this system with the BWs before buying it.

Purchased At:   Novacustica