Aiwa NSX-MT50 Mini Systems

2.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Srini a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I like the Appearance, Style and the full funtion remote.
I have the exact same problem with the CD player and the surround sound as other people have. I think it is time AIWA does something about this. If anybody finds a solution to this please post a message here.

Submitted by M M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this at Target thinking it was good value for money. Man, was I wrong!! The CDs started a little before the warranty ended. I got it fixed once and then it died again after 6 months. The AIWA guys said it would cost $100 just to look at it!! One of my friends knew somebody at AIWA. That guy said I should just change some resistors to get it working again. I think this is a scam to charge less initially and then make money on repairs. I finally bought a SONY CD player which I put in through the MD port. I know two other people who bought the exact the same system and have the exact same problems. I wish I had seen this site then. I wonder if AIWA is doing anything about. Probably not, given their tech support is filled with really incompetent people. Needless to say, I WILL NEVER BUY ANY AIWA product again. If somebody figures out how to replace the optical pick-up, PLEASE post a message here.

Purchased At:   Target

Submitted by Axel Aldama a

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
The same as all the oter people having problems with the cd lens and the dolby prologic spakers
(center & rear) are to weak and make hissing sound even on very low volume.

Submitted by Sparky a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Biggest problem I've had with it is the same as my wife's 3 Disk Aiwa that she had when we got married. The laser became so covered in dust and dirt it wouldn't play cd's anymore. Taking the top off and cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip fixed the problem.

I'm usually pleased with it until I try to use the Dolby Surround, the center speaker seems too weak and the surround speakers don't have enough presence for my liking so I just use the built in DSP in the Live mode most of the time.

Overall it's a good unit for the price and especially the size.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Pissed a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Maybe I'm of the generation that expects everything to just work. Especially if we've paid hundreds of dollars for it. I will never buy another Aiwa product.

I am currently searching online for the optical pickup assembly because my local authorized repair center won't even give me the part #, and they want $125 to fix it.

Screw Aiwa and their service center.

Purchased At:   Sears