Aiwa NSX-MA845 Mini Systems

3.89/5 (18 Reviews)

300 watts w/ 3cd, DSP, BBE, digital out, Dolby Digital 5.1 ready

Submitted by jc-kc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
it's a really good system really nice 5.1 sound and great bass except
I was not impressed with the FAKE tweeters and the hiss noise in the
rear speakers on low volume.

Submitted by KNIGHTWOLF a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT THIS SYSTEM BECAUSE I WANTED I REAL STERIO SYSTEM,,, NO MORE LITTLE BOOM BOXES. MY BROTHER BOUGHT AN AIWA A FEW YEARS EARLIER, AND IT WAS GREAT, SOUND AND OPTIONS WERE AWESOME. SO I HAD NO ITENTION OF GETTING ANOTHER BRAND. SO I WENT TO THE STORE AND LOOKED AROUND A FEW TIMES. SOME MODELS WERE NICE, BUT NOT FIT FOR ME.. THEN I CAME UPON THIS MODEL NSX-MA845,, TRIED IT OUT, AND BOUGHT IT NO QUESTION.IT WAS LIKE BEING IN A CONCERT HALL EVERY TIME YOU USED IT. I HAVE HAD IT FOR A LITTLE OVER 2 YEARS. AND IM STARTING TO REGRET MY PERCHASE,A LITTLE, I KNOW THESE CAN HAVE PROBLEMS AND REQUIRE MAINTENECE,, BUT NOT THIS SOON. ONE DAY I WENT TO PLAY A CD.. AND IT WOULD NOT PLAY . IT COULD NOT RECONIZE THERE WAS A CD IN IT. THEN A WEEK AFTER THE CASSETTES STARTED TO MAKE CLICKING NOISES AND EVENTUALLY ONE OF MY TAPES WAS STUCK IN THE DECK,, AND WITH NO EJECT BUTTON I COULDNT GET IT OUT. I TRIED AGAIN AND THE CASS. DOOR BROKE OPEN. I TOOK IT TO A REPAIR PLACE AND HAD IT FIXED FOR $90.00. I THOUGH OK ITS FINE NOW,,I WAS WRONG,, IT STILL WOULDNT PLAY CDS..SO I TOOK IT BACK AND THE REPAIR MAN SAID IT WORKS FINE HERE AND THERE IS NOTHING MORE I CAN DO.AND NOW A NEW PROBLEM THE SMALL SURROUND SPEAKERS DONT WORK SOMTIMES. I WOULD EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN IN MAYBE 10- 15 YEARS,, BUT NOT NOW. I LOVED IT VERY MUCH AND I AM VERY UPSET THAT THIS IS HAPPENING. I AGREE WITH SOME OF THE OTHER REVIEWS ABOUT THE WEAKNESSES OF THE PRODUCT I USE IT ON AN AVERAGE BASES AND WOULD NOT EXPECT THESE PROBLEMS TO HAPPEN. IF ANYONE KNOWS IF I CAN CONTACT THE AIWA COMPANY ABOUT THIS AND HAVE SOMTHING DONE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. AS FAR AS BUYING ANOTHER AIWA.. THEY HAVE A GREAT REPUTATION AND ARE KNOWN FOR GOOD PRODUCTS BUT WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO THIS ONE,,,IF THE COMPANY HELPS ME IN SOME WAY(NOT TO SOUND GREEDY)IT WOULD BE A GREAT BOOST OF CONSUMER CONFIDENCE.

Purchased At:   SEARS

Submitted by William a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had two choices the day I bought my first real stereo system. I had no idea what brands were the best, although I did do some research. I must have gotten lucky with my Aiwa, for looking back at the situation I once was in, other brands like Sony don't compare up.

I had enough money to go with either this stereo system, or the next step up, which was a 410-watt system by the same brand. I chose the NSX-MA845 because of the built in woofers. Why would anyone want a 410-watt system when the power wasn't directed towards the woofers (which there were none)?

At first I was skeptical, as most would be, although I didn't really have much to compare the sound quality to, considering that it was my first stereo. All I wanted was a good sound system, that played from high to low, and as an added bonus, came with rear and center speakers.

Well here I am, I think 4 years later, and I have become a major audiophile. My sister owns a sony in the other room in my house, and I have had much experience with other systems by other brands (JVC, Pioneer, etc.). Of all the products from all the brands that I have tested, Aiwa would be my prime choice.

I know most have said in past reviews that the rear speakers seem weak, and they may indeed be right. But if you tweak the right settings, the prettiest of sounds can come out of all the speakers. I have a 20gig NOMAD JukeBox by Creative Labs hooked up to my Aiwa (via 5.1 hookup), so that my music plays through 4 speakers. It's only stereo sound, but definitely more spacious because of my tweaking. In the sound system you can increase volumes of the surround (and center) speakers in relation to the front ones. The best settings for me is to put the rear speakers all the way up, and the nifty equalizer to my own setting, all the way up on low frequencies, all the way up on high. There is no setup for BBE in 5.1, but I usually always leave the T-BASS up to setting three. The sound is great. I get my highs, I get my lows, and there has not been one instance where cracking or fuzziness has come out of my rear speakers. I've done tests and compared volumes of the front and rear speakers, and the rear ones are definitely audible. Whether listening to it at night, or blasting it during the day, everytime I turn that thing on I get crystal clear sound out of all the speakers, at all the volumes. I think why crackling may occur for some people is with the surround effects the system uses in stereo mode (Stadium, Hall, etc.) But in 5.1, at volume 5 to 40 the sound is beautiful.

For the REAL audiophiles, I would suggest a $5000 system by BOSE (just an example), only because it's probably the best sound system I've heard for it's money, but if you are pushed on cash, and just want a really good system to listen to, this one is for you. I must admit, I wish there were digital inputs for better quality, but the analog ones will do fine for me right now. I've watched DVD movies via analog (with rear sound all the way up) and the experience is fabulous.

My system is refurbished too, and as many may know, that means that it was used, defective, and fixed by the manufacturer to be sold once again, but the system works so much like new. I haven't had one single problem with it yet, and it will sit in my room for years and years to come.

I gave this product a 100% 5 out of 5 because of the ease of use for it. The display is one of the best I have seen yet, and although the hookups are rather old fashioned, the sound is near perfect, and the surround couldn't get better for the price.

The CD-changer I haven't used often, but when I do, it performs. It has taken me awhile to get the best settings for the best results, but it is capable, if you give it a try. The remote is a winner, and the features the product poses in general are worth the money.

A "killer buy" this product is, for those of you who might (or might still not) be interested. Just about everything that has to do with my Aiwa is what I've always wanted in a mini-system, and it has got to be one of the better purchases I have made in my lifetime. If I had the money I'd get something better, who knows what I might get, but for now I'm sticking with this.

Purchased At:   Onsale.com (Refurbished)

Submitted by Tyler a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very up and down system. It has 300 watts of total power, but obviously aren't all put to use in Pro Logic mode unless volume is so high it's too high. Powerful and rich-sounding subwoofers, but in my 11x11 foot room, small loose objects rattle and shake when volume is at 15 and over.

CD changer is okay, I would have bought another favored Sony with a 60 disk changer if it weren't for the Aiwa's $212.00 price including tax. Surround speakers are too weak to hear and crackle unless the volume is above 10. The sound is good, but I really don't think that Aiwa had any use in installing the super-tweeter, because it sounds as if it's not even installed.

Purchased At:   Rex

Submitted by Anthony a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great value, also have Kenwood VR-255 w/ KLH 12" Liquid cooled 3 ways, and this Aiwa blows it away in Stereo Mode. In Home Theatre mode it all falls apart. With DSP or Pro Logic on playing music, almost no sound comes from rear channels, I think they need thicker wires and clearer amplifiers for the rears. On Dolby 3 channel with movies or music it sounds alright, but center must be turned down or else it overpowers the bass, even with boost all the way up. Aside from all those bad things though, in Stereo Mode it will blow away huge standalone systems. Front mid sounds clear and realistic, although if you put your ear to the tweeter, you can tell it is fake and has no use but to take up space. Even though my Kenwood can't come close to this sound, Aiwa has alot of problems to face in future years, if I were to recommend a stereo, I would say this is good, but you may want to reconsider, and choose a brand that tests their equipment *FULLY* before selling it, for $300, I should at least get what they told me I was gettting.

Purchased At:   Rex Audio (Janesville, WI)

Premier Mounts: