Aiwa NSX DS55 Mini Theater System Mini Systems

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

- 3-Disc CD changer with disc-exchange.
- 215 Watts stereo output plus 50 Watts subwoofer output.
- 5-Piece speaker system.
- Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital decoder.
- Multi-amplifier system, built-in subwoofer system.
- Preset/Custom audio settings.
- Dual full logic cassette.

Submitted by twistedd9984 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This has been the best thing that has happened to me in terms of audio. Mine came with the 50 watt subwoofer, which I have to say is unbelievable. The sound quality is great, and it's safe to say that Aiwa has done it again. I've purchased an Aiwa system from the NSX series before, which was a stereo system with dual subwoofers. However, this one blows that one away.

Submitted by Joseph Trinh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
An incredible system for the price. I plugged this puppy in expecting a half hearted tweet as one would expect from any other mini system and was overwhelmed at the use of power this "little system that could" produced. My wife and I now use it for our primary home theatre machine. the disc changer isn't really anything special, unless of course you don't have a CD player yet. As for the tape player/recorder, the only thing that was neat was the sychornized CD player/tape recorder function. The thing that blew me away was the Machine's hardware ability for Dolby Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1. Aiwa did a splendid job on the NSX series, but a magnificient job on the D55. As for iputs, I went with a simple solution for a simple problem. I bought supporting equipment for the whole shebang. Only one RCA input? well, I went out and bought a Philips Flat screen with multiple inputs and Pro Logic outputs. Bought myself a new DVD player that supported optical out and solved all my probelms. Now I use the machine to switch between analog and digital signals. (VCR, TV, Video games analog/ DVD player digital.

Submitted by Colton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this system. It is great for your bedroom and it has a real sound to it. I watch my dvds with this surround system all of the time. Add a KMH subwoofer and your set.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by jeffdre a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
After spending a few weeks looking at various mini home theater systems, I narrowed my choices to Sony and Aiwa. Since price was a big consideration, I really took a good look at both the NSX-DS50 and -DS55. As recently as a month ago Walmart was selling the DS55 for $199, but when I made my decision to buy it they had removed it from their inventories. Unfortunately, the best online price is around $250...and that doesn't include shipping (and this thing weighs a ton). Since that was out of my price range, I began looking for the DS-50 (which can be found at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.). At Best Buy, you could pick up the DS-50 for $199 and add the optional subwoofer for $70 more. But that still would only be 215 watts...

Luckily, I stumbled into Target and they are carrying the DS-55, with 265 watts and the subwoofer, for only $179. You really can't beat that price...you get Dolby Digital 5.1 and plenty of power.

Get to Target now!

Submitted by steve smith a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Who need's exspensive home theater system's when you have this baby from Aiwa? I have this system hooked up in my bedroom to my Sony progressive dvd player and WOW what a movie theater experience! I'll never go to the movie's again. Paying $199.00 was worth it for what I got with this package. Built in Dolby Digital Decoder, Surround sound speaker's, Subwoofer ect, you cant go wrong for the price. I highly reccomend this system for anyone looking for a great movie theater experience.

Atlantic Technology :