Aiwa NSX-DS11 Mini Systems

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

5 cd changer, 410 watts (WOW!), Dolby Digital, more

Submitted by Chris25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is the best shelf system I've ever owned. And let me tell you the way the speakers are designed, they use every watt that the receiver pumped out. Ive used this system for parties, casual listening and to just rock out and its lasted me for years. It will rattle every window you have in a two story home, easily. And the sound quality for the price is unsurpassable.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised there are so many bad reviews of the DS11 on here. I've been using this for well over a year and I've had absolutely no problems so far.

1) The sound quality is great. For those of you who say it's horrible, you need to do some adjusting of the equalizer/t-bass/bbe/dsp. It took me a few weeks to tweak everything, but once you do it sounds awesome.

2) BBE and T-Bass are both excellent. The DSPS isn't spectacular but with the right equalizer settings it sounds good (if you customize an eq w/ each band lower, like below half-way, then the rear speakers really come alive).

3) The Dolby Digital Decoder is terrible. I can hardly tell a difference between digital and pro-logic. The rear speakers are far too quiet, even when you raise their level up all the way. If you want a home theater system, buy a separate receiver and speakers, it will be much much better.

4) I've had no problems with the CD changer, it changes really quickly and has an innovative design to take up less space.

5) The sub output is great if you have a separate powered sub. When you plug in a sub, the system automatically initiates a low-pass filter, so the main speakers don't deal with frequencies below 80 Hz (i think its 80). This makes the sound quality even better, because the main speakers are midranges and aren't desigend for low frequencies.

6) Low THD. I think it is rated at 1% or somethign, which isn't that good, but this rating is very very conservative. With the volume at 45/50 the distortion is hardly noticeable. Therefore, this thing can get LOUD. I turned it all the way up and took a walk down the block and I could hear it about 4 houses down. My neighbors haven't complained. Yet.

Overall, it's a great system, and now that the price has dropped it's definitely worth buying.

Purchased At:   wholesaleproducts.com

Submitted by Clint a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Let me say, I read these reviews and I should have listened. This Aiwa is belated with problems. The first thing I noticed is the subwoofer output was not working at all. Next, their is a distortion type noise coming from the amplifier and it gets in the way of the sound as volume goes up. The final straw is the tweeters. They are not working at all, I here nothing from them at all. There is also a fuzzy sound coming from the right speaker, almost like the midrange is blown. This stereo is going back where it came from and I've only had it two days, brand new out of the box. I have constantly had problems with Aiwa products, all of them act up. The DS-11 is supposed to be one of the top of the lines, however, it's defects make it sound like garbage. Please listen, spend your money on equipment that lasts. Buy Sony, JVC, Panasonic. They last. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back, all 410 watts or whatever it is. I am giving this stereo five stars for value, it was a steal, however, it is going back as quick as it got here.

Submitted by Adam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Shelf systems suck but this one is particularly bad. Before you get pissed, let me explain.

1.) The sound quality is horrible. Actually has a low amount of "power", despite the wattage level being rated high. Ever wonder how the heck a little mini system like this would have twice the wattage of a top of the line Marantz SR-18 receiver??? That is because it DOESN'T. First off, Aiwa is measuring the 410 watts combined power of all 5 speakers, I believe. This means that the two main channels are substantially less. Secondly, POWER IS NOT MEASURED BY WATTAGE! It is measured by the level of current which is measured in decibels (dB). Aiwa uses cheap amplifiers that seemingly produce no amount of midrange. The Highs are far too bright and It gets to the point where I can't hear any definition in the instruments or mid frequencies. Bass flat and with no depth.

2.) BBE enhancement is nice but the DSPS are awful. They are very unrealistic and sound far too electronical. Annoying to my ears. Digital music is a straight source and DSPS add on another source that wasn't supposed to be there to begin with.

3.) The Dolby Digital Decoder sucks. I listened to the Matrix, turned it up about half way, and heard bizzare screeches. Gun noises are flat and un defined, especially when using the BBE. Vocals sound unnatural. It hurt my ears after about 15 minutes of those bright highs and irritating treble. Bass has no depth and is therefore also irritating. I can't imagine how irritating this thing would be with DTS...

4.) CD Player is very cheaply made, which is why they could afford to put in 5 of them.

5.) Not a lot of useful outputs or inputs. The optical is nice for movies but as already mentioned, the sound quality sucks.

6.) Tape player is nice and all the other small enchancements. I think this has Kareoke? That is nice but I don't really care.

I am giving this a value rating of 3 cause I have to admit, you get a lot for the price. Awesome price! But it only gets 2 overall. I'd much rather pay a little more and go with components.

Adam
skyblazer@voyager.net

Submitted by Jesse Cardenas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I got my new Sony XBR-400 TV with a new DVD player, I knew I was going to need a surround system. Since I live in a small apartment with walls as thin as paper, I saw no sense in spending alot of cash on a high end component sound system. I was at my local Dillard's Dept Store and I came across the Aiwa NSX-DS11. It was a beauty!! I looked closely, and I saw that it had a BUILT IN DOLBY DIGITAL DECODER WITH OPTICAL INPUT!! That alone sold me!! Then I looked at the price tag....$299.00!!!!!!!!!! I jumped on it! To make things even sweeter, it has a subwoofer line output to add a sub later on! This system kicks ass, and I suggest it to anyone who doesnt have the cash for a higher end system, or just doesnt have a huge living room. I just wish it had DTS decoding, but what can you expect for a mere $299!! I got that, and the extended warranty for an extra $50. Less than $370 for everything!! Go buy one and see for yourself!

Purchased At:   Dillard's Dept. Stores