Aiwa NSX 5200 Mini Systems

3.44/5 (27 Reviews)

Minisystem

Submitted by suzie survey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
loved this stereo at purchase and for years and actually still do, HOWEVER, several years ago the CD player started acting stragnely... will not play a CD, tray will not stay closed if power is on - - randomly opening and closing, although the CD change (tray spin) does NOT work either. pretty disappointing, as most of my music is on CD. considering researching cost to fix this problem. doing some online research today to see what i can find out. don't remember what i paid for it. i was a recent college grad at the time, low earnings, so i remember i did finance it, so i'm guessing around $400.

Submitted by audiocrityc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
Ok, so this thing cost a lot of money back then. It sounded great, looked cool, had full logic control over the tape decks (almost non-existant at the time), recorded music from CD's with crazy good clarity and volume, and had a 3 disk CD changer that you could change 2 CD's while listening to the 3rd (also unheard of back then). It was great, for a year. Right after the 1 year warranty was up, the CD player crapped out, skipping, going back in time, etc, then not even spinning a disk up. Fast forward to 2008. This thing still has a great tuner/amp section and one working tape deck. The surround speakers got thrown in the trash years ago, but the mains are good yet and the mic is tucked away and functioning in a drawer. So what gives? Top notch components except for the cd? MCM has a pickup for $40 that might fit (I'll take the cover off and check), but it's made by Aiwa too and I'm not into wasting $40 for an old player that only see's occasional duty. My main system is HK AVR 220 with Polk Rti line speakers, and my secondary system in the bedroom is HK 3385 with Bic america DV62si speakers. Anyone replace the pickup themselve's with good lasting results? I would love to join a class action suit for this POS CD changer as most poeple who bought one back then, everyone I know who had an Aiwa shelf system ran into this same exact problem, regardless of model.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by eruption9093 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
*sigh...
Seems like it's the same story across most of the board; sounds great and would be perfect save for the cd player crapping out. Wish I were one of those lucky exception people that have been writing five star reviews here.

Yup, after a few years of use the cd player completely stopped working. It was having problems with skipping even before that. It won't even recognize a cd no matter how much you clean the lens or the cd (I've bought brand new cd's just to see if this thing could read them, no dice.) This machine had been in a dust free cabinet when the cd player first started exhibiting problems by the way, so it must have be a factory defect. On the bright side, at least the blinking lights coming from the cd player look pretty cool :)

Other than this major caveat, the sound is far superior to most mini systems out there, even factoring in it's age. I've had no problems with the surround speakers or anything else except the cd player, so the unit still does get some use. The system offers an incredible bass booster that will wake up the neighbors, and a few preset equalizers and stadium effects to enhance listening. The tape deck works fine for those of you who still care in this day and age. Also has karaoke ability that I've never used personally. Sadly, if you're a vinyl record person like myself, you'll have to buy a pre-amplifier to use most turntables.

Bottom line--- If you're looking for something cheap on the resale market and have an external cd player lying around, this system is a good bet.

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by Jo Ann West a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to say how pleased I am that I purchased this system 12 years ago and it still works beautifully. I think the key to success with all electronic equipment is keeping it clean and following all of the manufacturers directions. I read several reviews where people complained about the surround sound speakers not working. What do you want to bet they are not connected to the right connections. The main reason I was looking for information on the NSX-5200 is that I would like to transfer music on my cassette tapes into my computer. So far I have been unsuccessful in accomplishing that. I wondered if anyone out there has done this and could tell me how I might do it. Thanks, Jo Ann

p.s. I do not remember where I purchased it or how much I paid for it.

Purchased At:   Some Store

Submitted by DAVID90028 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
NSX 5200 (AUDIOHOLICS REVIEW)

I WANT TO INFORM THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THE NSX 5200 MINI SYSTEM WHO GAVE IT BAD REVIEWS. APPARENTLY IT’S MIXED. HALF GREAT REVIEWS, THE OTHER HALF MEDIUM TO BAD REVIEWS.

I BOUGHT THE NSX 5200 ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO. AND IT IS WITHOUT A DOUBT ONE OF THE GREATEST MUSIC SYSTEMS EVER PRODUCED, REGARDLESS OF SIZE. THIS I SAY, AND I GO BACK TO THE EARLY REEL TO REEL DAYS OF STEREO INCEPTION, AN I’VE HEARD THEM ALL. FROM THE VERY EARLY 1960’S WHERE AR 3’S & KLH’S RULED. TO TODAYS ONSLAUGHT OF SYSTEMS, WHEN STOPPING OFF AT THE GOOD GUYS TO SEE WHAT’S NEW.

I CURRENTLY HAVE A $10,000 SYSTEM PURCHASED MUCH EARLIER WITH ENTERTAINMENT CENTER WITH COMPONENTS THAT I KEEP BASICALLY UP TO DATE. THE (JBL) TOWER SPEAKERS THOUGH ARE THE EXCEPTION, THEY WON’T QUIT. THEY ARE VERY OLD, BUT THEY ARE A SOLID 10; AND REFUSES TO DETERIORATE OVER TIME WHEN COMPARING THEM TO WHAT’S NEW!

THE NSX 5200 COMPETES WITH MY ENTIRE LIVING ROOM SURROUND SYSTEM!!!!!!! COMPETES WITH EVERYTHING THATS NEW AT GOOD GUYS!!!!!!! THIS MAY SOUND CRAZY BUT SOMETIMES IT EVEN SURPASSES EVERYTHING ON PITCHES & BASE QUALITY. THIS IS OF COURSE WHEN I BOUGHT THE AIWA (TS-W5) SUB WOOFER TO COMPLETE THE SET OF THE NSX 5200; THIS TO SEE IF IT COULD SOUND EVEN BETTER, AND IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!

THE NSX 5200 WITH THE SURROUND SPEAKERS THAT CAME WITH IT AND THE (TS-W5) SUB WOOFER IS ALL YOU NEED. BOSE WHITE SPEAKERS WHO? BOSE DELUXE JEWEL SPEAKERS WHO? BOSE TRIPLE THREAT ALL TIME BLACK SPEAKERS WHO?

THIS IS A LIST OF WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN REVEALED TO REFRESH THE BAD REVIEW REVIEWERS IF IT’S NOT TOO LATE.

DISK SKIPPING ? TAKE THE TOP OFF. JUST REMOVE THE (4) BASE SIDE SCREWS, LEAVING ALL OF THE BACK ONES IN TACK. IT TAKES 4 MINUTES TO DO THIS. OF COURSE DISCONNECT YOUR CONNECTIONS & LABEL THEM, THIS OF COURSE IS TO MANEUVER THE UNIT. GREEN, RED, ECT MAKE TIES TO THE CONNECTIONS, FOR I.D. PURPOSES!

COTTON SWAB THE (2) LENS, NOT (1) BUT (2) WHICH ARE UNDERNEATH THAT ROTARY DISK SPINNER THAT SPINS. DO THIS WITH DENATURED ALCOHOL. IF YOU OVER ALCOHOL IT, IT MAY LEAVE A RESIDUE ON A CD WHEN TESTING THE SYSTEM. THEN YOU MAY THINK THE DAMN THING IS STILL BROKE! (AND IT NEVER WAS), THAT’S WHY IT SOUNDS SO GOOD. THE SENSITIVITY IS AND WAS AHEAD OF IT’S TIME. DO THIS EACH YEAR ACCORDINGLY ON USAGE!

SURROUND SPEAKERS, NO SOUND? UNPLUG & PLUG IT IN ONCE A MONTH (SPEAKERS DO TEND TO DEACTIVATE SOUND AT TIMES!)

CASSETTE PLAYERS? I HAVE BEEN PLAYING BOTH LEFT & RIGHT WITH NO PROBLEMS ALMOST 10 YEARS. I DEMAGNETIZE & SWAB ACCORDINGLY WITH MY FREQUENT USAGE. RECENTLY THE PROBLEM IS THE RIGHT ONE WHICH WON’T AUTO REVERSE & REWIND. I HAVE A MANUAL HAND REVERSE PLASTIC .99 THING AND THAT WORKS FINE. MY HAND & WRIST GETS EXERCISE AT THE SAME TIME.

BELIEVE ME I PLAY THIS THING EVERYDAY & NIGHT, IT STILL LOOKS BRAND NEW! I GO TO SLEEP WITH IT ON NIGHTLY, WITH IT’S TIMER I RECORD RADIO SHOWS, SPORTS & OTHERS, & I WAKE UP TO IT. I TRULY BELIEVE IT’S THE BEST SOUNDING SYSTEM PROBABLY OF ALL TIMES!

I DO HAVE A COVER THAT I PRODUCED FROM A LARGE WRITING TABLET (BECAUSE OF THE FOLDING FIT METAL SPRING; IT CONTOURS FOLDING WITH THE UNIT SHAPE ITSELF). I USE IT TO COVER THE FACE OF IT AT NIGHT BECAUSE IT IS SO COLORFULLY BRIGHT IN THE DARK. I CUSTOM DID THIS WITH ELECTRIAN TAPE AND SCISSORS TO SIZE IT LEAVING A SMALL HOLE FOR MY REMOTE CONTROL TO UTILIZE IT. I ALSO VELCRO’D AROUND CERTAIN BUTTONS ON MY REMOTE TO MEMORIZED WHERE I’M AT. THIS I CAN DO (KNOW WHERE I’M AT) AT ALL TIMES WHEN IT’S ON.

BEST SYSTEM ON EARTH (NEVER HEARD ANYTHING CONSISTENTLY BETTER). THE BASE IS AMAZING & ACCURATE, WHICH A LOT OF BASES ARE NOT!!!! INTEGRATING 100% WITH THE RECEIVER’S MIDRANGE & TWEETER PERSONA SPEAKERS, CROSSOVER IS PERFECT, SURROUNDS BLEND WITH PERFECTION.

WITH THE NSX5200 & IT’S LEFT & RIGHT SPEAKERS & THE SURROUND SOUNDS ON THE WALL & THE TS-W5 SUB UNDERNEATH MY T.V.. LAYING IN BED IT’S THE BEST SURROUND SOUND I HAVE EVER HEARD & PROBABLY EVERY WILL!

DAVE

Purchased At:   "THE BROADWAY"

PANAMAX: