Onkyo DV-CP802
Description: <ul> <li>Progressive Scan Output/Digital Direct</li> <li>6-Disc Carousel</li> <li>10-bit/54mHz Video D/A Converter</li> <li>Discrete Component Video Out</li> <li>Coaxial and Optical Outputs</li> </ul>

Submitted by Undefinition a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
You are all crazy!

I can't help but notice that no one listens to CDs anymore. I'd make a bet that for every component CD player sold, there are 100 ipods and dvd players going home with customers. As such, there isn't of a market anymore for CD players--let alone multi-disc players. Most people either download or rip their songs, or they play them on their DVD player--and this is my point of contention. I am really frustrated with the inability of almost all DVD players to decently play a CD. Sure, you read the reviews, and so and so says, "With redbook audio, it sounds mild, slightly sweet, etc.." And now I'm wondering if everyone's ears are shot.

Look, while most DVD players do play DVD audio fine, if you put an audio CD in there, you are most likely going to get a clipping sound. I don't know why this is; apparently, the internal volume level is just too hot, and there is no adjustment along the way. I have tried several multi-players now, a Panasonic, a Denon, and now this Onkyo, and still the same distorted, harsh sound. Really, the only DVD player I know of that doesn't clip is my old, old Apex AD600.

And no, the fault is not my amp or receivers. In fact, I tried a vast array of amps: a Pioneer receiver, an antique Sansui, an antique Marantz, even a pro audio amp and mixer! The clipping sound is still there! From a clunky old CD player (or my cheesy Apex) there is no distortion (save from the weak dynamic range). (And yes, I ALSO tried using various quality cables--all with the same effect (that's a discussion for another day))

Now, it's easy to see that this Onkyo is a solidly-built unit, and to play DVDs on it is actually a treat. But audio CD performance is unacceptable. I called Onkyo tech support. The tech was cooperative; he even set up the same unit in the shop to try it. He put in a James Taylor CD and heard the same clipping!! He admitted that this problem was all new to him, but he also admitted that there was really nothing I could do as a consumer but return the unit for something different.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by GFelizardo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
Good product, great features, sounds nice, but subpar video for the price. This unit does not pass blacker-than-black in progressive, and the video frequency response dips in the upper frequencies. The unit displays only 450 out of a possible 480 lines of resolution, which on some material makes the pictures somewhat soft. My 4 year old Toshiba 2-disc changer has a better picture.
The audio performance and feature set of this player are the things that make it worth it. DVD-Audio and SACD in a changer, solid build quality, good sound quality, and the ability to shuffle ALL disc types are the reasons to buy this player

Purchased At:   OneCall.com

Submitted by jerrhyspoor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
Onkyo is exceptionally good but with even one imperfection it may be overpriced.

The industry state of the art is in disarray. It appears a design project is finished when the total resources are depleted. Some designers overpower others and the finished project shows these imbalances. Onkyo has a very good design but it still has problems. The operating logic is great but not perfect.

You can rotate jpg files on screen but the refresh rate time is still sluggish for enjoyable viewing of slide shows. DVD player just don’t compete with computers in this area.

Random music play is accomplished with only a few command entries but you do not get what is advertised. In my test I loaded 6 music discs with 114 songs. When the unit had performed 77 plays it only used 49 songs. There were 28 replays. 7 songs were played 3 times. One song was played 4 times. 65 songs were not yet played at this point in time. How hard would it be to mark a song played as you progress through the random shuffle? This design flaw is a serious problem and takes the enjoyment out of shuffling your songs in a multi disc player. Onkyo tech support asked me to try using the memory programming feature first and then use the random mode. It did not help.

The unit has Chain mode control where you select CDs, DVDs or both for accumulative playback. This is great but is of reduced value with the random playback problem.

The expensive extras on the DV-CP802B over the DV-CP702 would be the enhanced video quality, “DVD-Audio” and “SACD”.

My TV is a Sony 57” projection system and I cannot see the higher degree of video quality on my screen. I used my older JVC DVD video player and played the same Vin Diesel movie in both players. I switched back and forth in simultaneous action scenes using my Onkyo amplifier switching circuitry and could see no difference. Perhaps digital display type screens would pick up the higher quality.

The unit plays many formats. While Onkyo does not claim to play DVD+RW I have no problem with the disc brands I am using.

The on-screen display is well organized with everything you need and nothing you do not need. The unit controls and remote controls are well organized and practical.

The Onkyo manuals are online at onkyousa.com.

The Onkyo on-line support does not pick up the phone right away but the technical staff is knowledgeable and helpful. I asked them about the random play and they were not totally up front with me.

I am an engineer and am technically oriented. I believe Onkyo is an incredible player but they still have a few flaws.

You can buy this product on-line but I prefer the support of a local retailer. I only found one place (Frys) in Austin Texas that stocked the DV-CP802.

My only other consideration was the Sony DVP-CX985V 400 disc carousel. The DVP-CX985V is probably the best in its class but the operating logic has more flaws than Onkyo. Of course the logic of operation either works or it doesn’t so it comes down to the question of what kind of disc will it play and will it play from beginning to end. Then you must decide how many discs you want to install at a time and how easy they are to install and remove. In general the number of discs is 1, 5, or 400 with Onkyo being one of the few 6 disc changers.

I believe the present music/video market lacks conformity and the hardware is entering a new era. Formal computer logic has not really entered the hardware design but when it does we should have a better design that is far more user friendly. We already have on-screen display. A keyboard plugs into the Sony DVP-CX985V for some assistance. Now all we need is a good chunk of RAM, a decent BIOS chip and a few computer programmers to make these units do what they are supposed to do.

If you don’t need perfect random play then this Onkyo is a beautiful piece of equipment with good operating logic.

If you need good random playback you might check out the Yamaha DVD-C750 5 disc player.

Purchased At:   Frys