Creative Labs Nomad II
Description: <LI>Reprogrammable for supporting multiple digital audio formats and other software extensions in the future <LI>Future-proof to support any audio compression standards through future upgrades available via Internet downloads <LI>Universal Serial Bus (USB) connection offers faster transfer rates and ease of connectivity Non-mechanical player offers skip-free, continuous playback <LI>64MB SmartMedia* allows hours of CD-quality audio or 4 hours of voice recording <LI>Built-in FM Tuner stores up to 32 preset stations <LI>Large, icon-based LCD screen with backlight for easy viewing in any environment <LI>Wired remote control gives quick access to playback controls during extreme activity <LI>Bass-enhanced stereo backphones <LI>NOMAD II Manager Software allows you to manage, access, upload, and download content to your NOMAD II player in seconds <LI>Creative Digital Audio Center by MusicMatch allows users to encode, decode and archive high quality MP3 files and Windows Media files. It also allows users to convert an unlimited number of CD tracks and compile them according to preferences

Submitted by joeoconnor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this product. I originally bought the Nomad II with FM radio a few years ago (for about $300 from an internet shop) after I went digital (ie. backed-up and sold all my cds, sold my stereo, got 5.1 sound card/speakers for my pc, etc) and I thought it was really great - did the job perfectly. I've read a few reviews saying the radio is useless but I think it depends on the radio signal in your area..for me it was at least as good as the radio on a walkman (and great for when you were bored with your tracks)...After a few years the unit stopped working one day (just froze when the battery died and reset didn't work), so I looked at replacing it...The jukebox style players were just too large for carrying around so I looked again at the flash players (and beacuse I had half a dozen 128mb Smartmedia cards I was biased towards getting one that could use them)..I bought a coolicam digi-mp3 (big mistake) but its poor sound quality and display only showed how great the Nomad II had been...so i bought another one on Ebay (for half the price of the original)..this time i got the one without radio (but with 64mb built in, giving 192mb with an 128mb card slotted in)...no problems running but i do miss the radio (get the one with the radio)...by the way i never used the headphones that came with it or the inline remote (too fiddly)..instead just used Sony in-ears...the software is alright (and you can send files both ways, eg. a zip file) but you are waiting around a bit (cos it's only USB1) but it's not too slow (like the digicam was, sheesh!)...get one cheap on ebay.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Watchdog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
As I have over 1,100 mp3's on my computer I was excited to use this portable for exercising and the times I use transit.

I had the model with the FM tuner and the sound quality on the tuner is so pathetic that I ended up never using it. The FM sounded as bad as AM!

Creative software that comes with the unit is really poor and never worked properly. I had to buy a SmartMedia reader in order to use the player.

All in all the product worked ok at best. I was very disappointed in the FM sound quality. However the sound quality when playing well encoded mp3's was pretty good.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by soundgirl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
mine is actually the "c" version without FM radio. onboard 64mb and bought an extra 64mb to go with it. the music capacity is pretty good, especailly if you convert your mp3s to wma. btw, i paid 199CAN for it.

i gotta say, sound wise, you can't really expect much from a small device such as this one. but it isn't bad. I'm not sure why so many ppl have been having problems with it. personally, i've dropped the thing on concrete at least 10 times and it still work flawlessly. I use it extensively every time i go to the gym.

Purchased At:   compusmart

Submitted by Mike Wheeler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent MP3 player with outstanding features. For the price and feature-set it simply can't be beat. Creative has made an outstanding music device and I would highly reccomend this to anyone.

Purchased At:   nexthardwareshop.com

Submitted by JS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased because of the built in FM tuner. Died after 3 hours of use.
Creative wants $20 to diagnose + more to fix. This is the worst consumer
electronics experience I have had in 25 years.
You are asking for problems if you buy this product.
It was discontinued for a reason (It's a POS)

Purchased At:   internet