TEAC Reference 300 Series

Submitted by Mark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I searched long and hard for a mini system to replace my big ugly seperates. I always had the Reference 300 in mind but continued to look at other products. After a few months looking I finally decided to opt for the Teac. I only wanted the CD, Amp, Tuner and managed to find a great price.

The system looks stunning, it looks like it costs more than twice what I paid. I can't imagine a system looking better for the price. The build quality is top notch and everything about it says "style". Luckily it sounds killer too.

I don't really listen to the radio but the tuner provides great daily timer functions which means I can go to sleep with the stereo on and have it wake me up too at the time I set. The units themselves link up and intergrate well making it really feel like a "system".

It's not perfect, there are some little things I'd like to have changed. Firstly the remote control isn't very ergonomic, it's very flat with small buttons. You also have to be standing virtually in front of the amp sensor to have the remote work.

It's a bit cramped round the back too and there's alot of wires hanging around for a small system. It would have been nice if you didn't need a plug for each unit.

Despite the little niggles it's still one hell of a system and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have picked anything better for anywhere near the money.

Purchased At:   unbeatable.co.uk

Submitted by Butch Alvarez a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was after the killer "Executive Desktop System". I think I've got it. It looks super expensive (it really wasn't all that cheap, really) and sounds great. I'm using a set of older baby advents (I recently replaced the rotted foam surrounded woofers). These speakers have solid walnut tops and bottoms and look terrific flanking the Teac component tower. My components are the T-H300 tuner, R-H300 cassette, PD-H300 CD changer and the A-H300 integrated amplifier. They all work flawlessly. I use the system in my home "virtual" office. I have other mini-systems, but none have the class look that this system has. The bass response is limited by the Baby Advents but is a good compromise between looks/size and performance. I have a spare Sunfire subwoofer, but just haven't been all that motivated to connect it up.

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

Submitted by sam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these to use a traditional 2-channel audio system to play a collection of 60's & 70's vinyl. Also to burn the vinyl on to CD-R. They had to fit into a restricted space.

This series in not really a K-Mart mini-system. It is a geuine piece of audiophile equepment designed to meet a particular need namely high quality 2-channel sound in a very compact package. If these were on the market ca. 1980 they would have been cosidered very respectable and definatey not enty level. For those not old enough to remeber, 30 watts/channel was once pretty decent performance. You should couple these to good quality but efficient (4 ohm ?) speakers. If I still had my Smaller Advents, they would have been perfect. In stead I choose a pair of M&K K-series satellites. As long as you don't expect much bass performance, the this receiver is quite adequate.

The FM performance is not from the 70s era. I'm located not far from Sutro Tower in San Francisco. This is one of the worm reception area in the country. Maybe I just got lucky with antenna placement this time, but the reception is as good as any receiver I've used in this area.

There is a remote control but I don't bother with it since there are located where I can reach the front pannel. The controls are very simple and intuitive. The only wierdness involves the companion CD-recorder. The sieries has provision for interconnecting the various components so that selecting one from the reciever allows turns on the selected unit. The manual says that you can't use this feature if you wish to record. If you just have the tape deck or CD player in you system, this should not be a problem.

I can recommend these for anyone who wants just 2-channel sound in a small package and can live with 30 watts. Regard as a real system, not a near boom box or executive toy! I may be adding a power sub in the next 6 months, in which case I expect I'll have a system coparable to a more traditional big-black-box stereo.

PS: I don't understand why most audio equipment is in the standard 17" x 13" x 6" box. In side they are mostly empty space. Yes, there can be a question of heat dissipation, but heat sink fins can take care of that.

Submitted by Nico a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
It's great (recever, amp and multi cd) , i've compared it with other systems in the same price range (sony, Jvc, ect...) Nothing can deliver that power and quality, and still look clean, nice and beautifull . I hooked them up some Quadral Argent 21 speakers, love it.

Submitted by Martin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just bought the Tuner T-H300 from Teac. I could say that only the size of this tuner and the price is small on this unit.
The sensitivity is very good with the Terk`s antenna (Am-Fm+)
Out of the box, the sound is more open that an old Fm 3 from Quad or the new Cambridge Audio, but less detailed that a Parasound. It takes the goods of both world. For the price, I think you won`t find better. I don`t know for the durability... (warranty = 3 years)

With more money ($1000 Cnd.), the Magnum Dynalab will solve your problem...

Purchased At:   Audio-d` occasion, Mtl.