Denon D-M5

Submitted by Spencer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Bottom Line:
I agree with most of what people have said about this. I bought my set, with the little Mission speakers, for $10 at a yard sale. Once I removed a stuck CD from one drawer, it has worked flawlessly. The purpose of my writing to anyone out there using these, is that I simply added a subwoofer to the speaker mix, and this has made an ENORMOUS difference. The sub has variable output and crossover point, so it is tuneable. It keeps the low lows away from the Missions, and now the whole set makes one superb computer speaker set-up. Better than wearing headphones.

Submitted by George Stolle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my Denon UD M5 in 1998 and for a year or so it was awesome. Then the CDs started to skip, not track well, and finally stopped playing altogether. It still functions fine as a 30-watt receiver with lots of components plugged in. However, if I'd wanted a component setup that's what I would have purchased.

6 months after I bought my UD M5, a friend of mine went out and bought one also. His is in even worse shape than mine, since it's got a CD jammed in it so firmly that the drawer won't open.

Naturally, readers will be thinking "Who are these cavemen beating up their stereos?" That's not it: my friend and I work too hard to be smashing up our semi-pricey stereos. These units are just really fragile and poorly engineered. (Yes, we know about cleaning etc, etc.) We've tried, but it doesn't help.

Both of us are in our late 30's and have each had a lot of equipment, but none of it has been as frustrating and fragile as our UD M5s have been. You can bet that neither one of us will be buying anything else from Denon.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by wuub a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I found the unit in my building's garbage room...
I tried to fix it but no luck... so i got it fix for 60€. Apparently it was the power generator at the back that was damaged...
I tried it with 2 Kenwood Acoustic Speakers and the sound quality is pretty good... But it lacks of customizing sound functions to be qualified as a High standard stereo... but then again i haven't got the remote control with it so it might better than i can tell.

Purchased At:   In the garbage

Submitted by Chuckd55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
M5 speakers are VERY boxy and shut-in sounding. Maybe it's the lack of high end. Harmonics are good. Bass is good. Overall timber of instruments is good.
But I would NOT recommend this unit.
Either try the Denon with the bigger M50 speakers or else Yamaha with the bigger polished black speakers (to many model number to remember them all). Also this Yamaha plays really loud for a minisystem and I wouldn't turn volume past 10:00-11:00 o'clock without annoying people in the store. Even the Yamaha with the smaller wood speakers ($399 at Best Buys) would be better than the Denon M5.

Purchased At:   J and R

Submitted by Don a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was really pissed off with the remote control in the early days. It took me weeks to get used to it, even my partner does not know how to use the remote after more than a years we had it, except for basic funtions.
The sound is good, but not great. It lacks of high range i suppose. The display screen is small and does not show the total tracks of the cd you playing,and does not show ecliped tracks either. Well, but with that amount of money we cant expect much in Australia.
This is my first Denon system and it does not incourage me to try more denon.

Purchased At:   local hifi store