Roku Labs M500
Description: Roku Labs Soundbridge digital media player <ul> <LI> Analog Stereo Audio Output <LI> Optical Digital Audio Output <LI> Coax Digital Audio Output <LI> 10mbps Wired Ethernet <LI> Wireless Network Support (Wi-Fi) <LI> Wall/Cabinet Mount Option <LI> Custom Remote Control <LI> Decompression of Audio Data in Device Reduces Wi-Fi Bandwith <LI> Large Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)- The M500 features a 2 line by 40 character display, displaying two lines of text. </ul>

Submitted by Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you're reading this, you probably already realize how cool it is to be able to listen to decent radio over your stereo. You also know there's been an incredible proliferation of interesting niche radio stations on the internet. Let's face it, for people in most of the country, regular broadcast radio is dead, except for a few shows you're lucky enough to catch while you're driving. For technical details on this product, see the previous reviews on the M1000, which is basically the same product except for a larger display. I downloaded the Roku firmware upgrade (very easy, just a few commands from the remote) to 2.1.20. That solved my compatibility issues with my Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 2 wireless router (I also upgraded the Linksys firmware to the latest version). The Roku found the playlist I had set up in iTunes with no problem. With the new firmware, I could save that playlist as Favorite Stations and then play them without iTunes running on my computer. With iTunes running, I can access multiple 10-station playlists I set up in iTunes. The techies at Roku seem dedicated to improving their product so I hope someday I'll be able to play directly from my Radio365-VIP player at higher fidelity. But for now, I'm so thrilled at being able to listen to ad-free radio that is not marketed to the lowest common denominator, I can live with the (pretty decent) sound quality.

Purchased At:   Direct from Roku