Paradigm Reference AMS-100R

Submitted by tbone a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got the idea to install some speakers in my bathroom during all of the snow days we had this winter. Instead of having a radio in the bedroom that I would have to walk over to fiddle with, I figured some speakers and an inexpensive receiver would do the trick. Well I managed to get a used Yamaha receiver for less that $100, so the speakers were the next thing to get. HiFi House had a pair setup in their showroom and the sound just blew me away.

Installation was a snap. A little trick to dropping wires down a wall. Get about 10 feet (or more if you need it) of light chain from a hardware store. Then get a 3 or 4 oz fishing sinker. 4 oz is about the biggest that you can get into a 1" hole. Attach the sinker to the chain and drop it in the hole. Cheaper than a fish tape.

Ok, back the speakers, very natural sounding, nice tight bass and clear highs and midrange. The acoustic field is excellent in all areas of my room. I think I paid a little more because I wanted to hear before I bought, but they were worth it!

Purchased At:   HiFi House, Wilm, DE

Submitted by Jim hargrove a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Paradigm appears to come up with a line of inwalls that sound awesome for the price particulaly the AMS300,AMS250(l believe this model is discontinued) and the AMS200. They look great and sound even better!! l owm a hifi store that sells b+w, and sonance inwalls but am going to start offering paradigm instead due to their sound and value. Good choice

Purchased At:   on line EBAY

Submitted by Phillip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
It's an honor to be the first to review this product.

I'm sure that not many audiophiles would buy this product because it's a ceiling mount speaker and it seems that the audiophiles are the ones that usually write reviews on this website. However, for the rest of us, 99% of the population- yes, I know it's a lower percentage in here, this review is for you.

They sound very good. I use them as rears for my surround sound system and an additonal pair is used in my adjacent kitchen. They are incredibly innocuous because they blend into the ceiling so well. We don't listen to music critically in our kitchen with the kids or while having a dinner party. As rears to a surround system they are a perfect compliment to the rest of the system and don't get in the way of our large windows and curtains. For our application they are terrific equipment.

Remember folks, rears are only in use a small percentage of the time in a 5.1 surround movie. You're not getting the dialogue or major parts of the music through them. Yes, box speakers from Paradigm or another manufacturer would sound better. Don't get massive rear speakers, you'll regret it when your wife or significant other has some decoratind done.

For those of you on a budget, $280 or so for a pair of these in a backround music application or for rears in a surround sound system is a terrific value.

What do audiophiles do when they get married or have children? What happens to the 5 foot 75 pound speakers and hundreds of pounds of audio/video equipment? I ask rhetorically because I'm sure there's a pre-nuptial and post-coital agreement they have their spouses sign.

I'm using these with Mini-Monitors, a 170 center channel, PS-1000 subwoofer all by Paradigm. Great value, no union labor in Canada. Panasonic 32sf36 TV, JVC 7600 VCR, Denon 2800 and Sony DVD 650 changer.

I'm giving these speakers 5 stars for the application I'm using it for.