Acoustic Zen I-2010R Matrix Reference
Description: Pure long grain copper in a matrix design unusually sympathetic to a life like reproduction of vocal and piano registers -- an uncompromising balanced and single- ended interconnect that approaches the absolute musical refinement of our Silver Reference cable at a bargain price.

Submitted by fjoggedelic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Iv`e had used this cable between my Rega Saturn CD-player and Lavardin IT amplifier for some time now, and had been very pleased with this, i still was looking for some more details in my listening, so i loaned a set of the Silver REF of my dealer, and now i was having a Matrix cable in spare. So i thought i would try it out between my Riaa (Rega Eos MM) and the IT. I was using a Lavardin cable before. My first impression was a much more dark sound and a lack of details, but a much more full bodied bass. So i`m in for a little diskussion with myself right now. Should i keep the Matrix and getting used to the lack of details and on the other hand, being very pleased wtih the new fuller bass? I need to try it out for a couple of weeks before diciding. The Lavardin cable is very detailed, but not so much full in the lower end as the Matrix, so it`sa matter of taste for me. Iv`e had been very pleased with the Matrix for my cd player, but i`m trying out the Silver Ref at the moment and will put a full review later on. You can`t go wromg with AZ cables. I´M using the Satori Speaker cables and i`m very pleased with AZ cables. But whatever i should use all AZ cables or a mix of Lavardin and AZ is for the next couple of weeks to tell.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Matrix Reference ll. I have tried so many "High End" Interconnects from Monster M series,Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval,Audience Au24,Cardas Neutral Reference,Harmonic Technology ProSilway Mk3,Kimber Select 1030 KS,NBS Omega4,Straight Wire Crescendo ll,XLO 1.1a Signature and a few more I just can't remember. Some of these cables have cost more than the Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference ll. Each cable I have purchased have gone thru more than 100 hours of break-in period in order to bring out the best in them. I have sold and bought cables left and right thru the years after given then the benefit of a doubt and listening to them very carefully. I will not say that they all were bad. Each pair of cables that I Auditioned had the tendecy of holding their own characteristic in sound. I never thought that I will find "The Right Cables" that will hold all the qualities Us Audiophiles look for on a Good pair of Interconnects.
Well the search has Stopped here with the Audition of Mr. Robert Lee's own Acoustic Zen Cables. I have found that the Matrix Reference ll are the kind of Interconnects that offer the "perfect" Tonality,Soundstage,Detail and Transparency that you can "probably" get from cables costing 4 or 5 times more than the Matrix Reference ll.These cables will bring out a Bundance of Upper Bass and a Lower Midrange Lushness and Softened Transients that will be hard to find in any other interconnects and "trust me" I have tried a lot of them.These Interconnects are well Balanced and Neutral in Every way. If you want to hear the clarity of Cymbals,Piano,Guitars or any other instrument please give these cables a try. If you want to hear Vocals from many performers as if they were there before you or on a live concert Give these cables a try. You will not be Disappointed. Acoustic Zen line of cables is so good that my complete Audio /Video System uses Acoustic Zen cables. Do yourself a favor and just give this cables a try. Most likely you will be listening to music and hear things so clear and transparent that you have never heard before.
Thank you reading my review about these wonderful Interconnects.

Purchased At:   Acoustic Zen Technol

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best value in the cable game. Go listen! They are fantastic! Better than anything I have heard short of the Nordost Valhalla and the Silver eference. I dare you to compare this to anyone else's top of the line.

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by david w 12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I add to the reviews above, I heartily agree. I decided on trying the Zen cables after seeking advise over the internet, this manufacturer came up again and again. For many people in the UK, High End cables= Nordost. I had been using Red Dawn after a convincing show demonstration and I have no wish to knock them. We all know Nordost are fast, detailed and accurate, but I had come to find them unexiting.
The simple way to describe the Matrix cable is musical, other reviewers have commented on this, but that is what really struck me, it makes all musical genres more envolving. They are'nt quite as fast as Nordost, but who cares. They may well be more musical because they are a little coloured, who cares, heresy I know. But I want to be emotionally envolved, emersed in the music and the Matrix cable does that for me. To be more analytical, the base is a great plus, deep accurate and lacking bloom or poor definition. The cable is on the warm side of neutral in my system, but I like that. I am awaiting the arrival of some 2nd hand Silver Ref from over the pond. It was suggested to me that combining Marix and Silver was a good way to go, the latter being more accurate but with a leaner base. I will report back my experience on this.
I can'nt finish without mentioning Hologram Speaker cables, there is'nt a review site for these, but I think they are really special and had more impact on my system than the Matrix cable. I recently upgraded from Living Voice Auditorium to Avatar speakers and the Holograms gave my system a greater uplift in performance, than changing speakers.
System:
Living Voice Avatar speakers

Purchased At:   Sounds of Music UK

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are abolutely amazing sounding cables. If I had to chose on pair to use forever, I don't think I'd have a problem chosing these to use only! Bass is world class, balance is perfect, detail is very very high, and top end is fantastic! Although, at first listen, first couple of day's break in, I thought the top was too much energy. But after a few day's, It balanced out very nicely.
The sound is very layered, contrasting, and involving...more so than anything else I've tried. I've tried a bunch of the top end copper cables in my system(s), like Cardas and AQ Python, and MIT Ref, but none had the detail and lack of coloration to the sound like the Matrix. With the Pure silver offerings, like AQ Amazon, SPM Nordost, and even AZ's own Silver Ref, there's a leaner bass line that you may or may not like. I need a fuller bass line in my system, and liked the balance the Matrix offeres.
I don't think there's any possible way you could go wrong with these cables in a well balanced system, eith tube or solid state....unless you got bright speakers or something (then the non-recessed topend could hurt you like any other high rez cable).
5+ stars for sure....a must try, and great value at $500/pr!