Onkyo A-9555
Description: New VL digital amplifier technology. <br>Two-channel equipment coupled with a unique implementation of hybrid class 'D' amplification. <br>Delivers a continuous 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 200 watts into 4 ohms with remarkably little heat production or distortion.

Submitted by dpdatl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine as a factory refurb for $300 several years ago for three reasons. It was significantly less expensive than new. Someone else would have suffered with the frustration of infant mortality and more importantly the quality control testing is significantly better on a refurb than a new unit. The exterior was flawless when I received it.

I have had and still own many separate amps, preamps, and receivers that were far more expensive and the Onkyo is as good or better than any of them. I prefer the euphonic sound of tubes to solid state and I could live happily ever after with the A9555. Music emerges from a silent "black" background with a good separation of instruments and front to back depth. The only "flaw" in this design is the lack of a subwoofer or preamp outputs.

Tube amplifiers are a pain in the rear and require a bit of maintenance to operate at their best. They suffer a higher failure rate than solid state due to the higher voltages needed to operate and the heat they produce. I am moving amps and preamps out of my system for this very reason. The one constant on my rack is the A9555 because it is simply that good.

Accessories4less still carries this discontinued integrated amp when available as a factory refurbished unit. They are also available on the usual audiophile resell sites frequently. If you are looking for a great backup amp or the centerpiece of an excellent audio system you would not be disappointed with the purchase of the A9555.

Submitted by bt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I tried connecting with computer but the output is poor.The speakers are not made by ONKYO as the amplifier.
Is there anyone who can guide me how to get the best out of this amplifiers.

Submitted by cris_fon_sp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought my A9555 at J&R. Worked 3 hours and just stopped, seems some components stopped working. And there isn't any reason for that since I'm experienced with hifi equipment and handle this one with care...
Didn't get satisfying assistance from Onkyo nor do they car about your review when you post one on their website, mine hasn't been published, they jusat put on the A9555's page very positive reviews and delete the others.
So I won't give any opinion regarding any possible acoustic quality of this product since 3 hours is a short time to evaluate it.
But all I know is that I should have keep away from Onkyo and from this specific amplifier, I'm very disappointed with lack of reliability of Onkyo's A9555...

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Two Channel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
After reading all the positive reviews here and elsewhere about this amp, I was looking forward to hearing it with my B&W 683s. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed when the unit I received was defective out of the box - I plugged it in and all I heard was a steady, loud clicking - like an electronic clock. I tried resetting the unit as directed in the manual, but like the old Timex ad, it just kept clicking. So much for Onkyo's quality control - don't they test these things at the factory?

Fortunately, B&H Photo provided a prompt full refund. Now I need to find an alternative product. I don't think I will buy another Onkyo 9555 because if it doesn't work when it's fresh from the factory, how can I rely on it over the long term? I had never owned a Class D amp before because the switching issues (sound, longevity) made me nervous. I suspect a switching issue was the cause of the defect. I think I'll stick with a tried and true old school Class A amp. I also think I will buy from a brick-and-mortar dealer, not via mail order - it's too much trouble to get return authorizations, repack and drop at a shipper, follow-up on refunds, etc.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Murphy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Bottom Line:

I purchased this product after finally ditching my Phase Linear Prs 3800 and the DRS 900. A classic pre-amp and power-amp combination that in it's day was considered some of the best of the best. The Onkyo A-9555 far exceeds the quality cost combination of some of the old stuff. Clear trasnsparency, tight solid bass, superior build quality and exceptional value make this a two channel audiophile's dream. I can now hear things in classical music that I never heard before. A case in point would be Anne Sophie Mutter's Brahms violin sonatas or the Deutsche Grammophon release of Anna Netrebko's "Souvenirs". The voice sounds almost as if it were in the room. For crystal clear digital sound.....I don't think this amp can be beat...it is truly a must buy.

Product model year:   2009