Mistral 50-Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Sonefree a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used surround amps for some time now. I was never very happy with my hi-fi sound with theese amps. I tried to uppgrade my surround recivers to get bether stereo sound, but I was never pleased. Of cause when you pay more you get bether gear. I belive that you have to buy the most expensive surround amps out there to compare with the mistral integrated amp. I now use a Thule CD-player with the Mistral amp, and my PSB 5T speakers have never sounded bether. Now I'm finaly very happy with my hi-fi sound. I still have the Denon AVR-3802 for use with movies. I use the pre out on the Denon reciver to the Mistral amp, and it works great. Everything I put on the Mistral, it handles great. I listen most to rock, metal, alternative music, and it's just so mutch power in this little beauty. All instruments sound as they should. You don't get tired of listen to this Amp, this is a fantastic hand-made piece of equipment. Remember that the Amp is the most important part of your sound system. It also looks great, it realy looks hi-end and it's not far from it. Of cause it's only 50W but it plays lound enough belive me =) The only thing I can complain about is that dynamics. It could be more dynamic, but then you need seperate AMP with more Watt. Go out and buy it, if you are looking for that good hi-fi sound.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by Jim Severs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
If there were ever a piece of gear that was a sleeper it's this amp. It's popular but not as well known as others but if it were it would surely be one of the most sought after integrated amplifiers out there. I've owned or heard a good share of integrated amps in and around the $1-2,000 level and I can easily say this is the very best amplifier I have ever heard. It's based on sheer simplicity from it's understated and classy British style to it's very simplistic circuit design. This is definitely a music lovers amplifier.

The sound is quite musical, very neutral and uncolored but with a slight sweetness and a slight warmth making this amplifier sound so natural and realistic. It's definitely true to the music sounding both open and detailed with excellent transparency which gives you a high sense of presence and hearing a live event. It's two biggest strengths, which is hard to call out as the entire spectrum is superb, is it's midrange and tonal accuracy. In both instances this amp excels at sounding quite accurate in it's portrayal of voices and instrument tonality. I've not heard an amp anywhere near it's price that sounds this true and right in these regards. The upper registers are beautifully extended and airy, natural and smooth. The bass is excellent as well- both deep and colorful. Soundstaging is quite dimensional and large with excellent ability to communicate the venue and carry fine ambient cues and microdynamic tones. Imaging is also excellent. The Mistral is powerful and dynamic and should be able to drive a wide variety of speakers in a variety of room sizs.

All in all it's somewhat of a challenge to describe this amplifier. It offers little character of it's own, very little colorations that help define it's sonic character. It's slight sweetness is a character that can be described but that is definitely what helps make this amp so realistic and natural sounding. It does not sound "hifi" nor does it sound engineered to sound overly smooth or warm. This amp just is. It gives you the music. In my opinion the LFD Mistral can compete with about anything when it comes to communicating the music.