Cambridge Audio Azur 540A
Description: 50W/channel into 8 Ohms, 80W/channel into 4 Ohms, protection system with no sound quality degrading active circuitry added into the signal path, second set of speaker outputs, optional MM phono, headphone output, standby function, bypassable tone controls, low-resonance and acoustically damped chassis, all-metal casework with a solid aluminium front panel, slim-line Azur remote control with aluminium top panel

Submitted by Lupine a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
Sorry, but don't buy this model. It sounds great, when it does not drop a channel. Unfortunately, I lose a channel due to some kind of circuit issue every time I use this unit
My advice,

Avoid.

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
The Cambridge Azur 540A V2 is a current go-between for me since I have changed directions and have decided to go integrated. I traded an older amplifier for this amp, which was used as a demo in a record shop near my home, so even though I have only been using it for a week or so, it is fully broke in.

Pros: It's a simple design, has the option for a direct signal path, Pre-outs allow it to be used as a preamp. Sound is crisp, clean. Unit is very musical, and 50 extremely effecient watts certainly fills the room with sound.

Cons: Not nearly as warm as I expected considering the experience I've had with British equipment. The soundstage doesn't have the depth I'm used to with higher wattage amps. Finally, the most dissapointing attribute is the extreme sharp edginess to the top end. I notice this more on vinyl, and less on my CD player which is using a tube buffer to round off the top.

In a nutshell: I would definitely recommend this amp to anyone on a budget. Although nothing at this pricepoint will WOW the critical ear, it does it's job and does it with some punch!

Submitted by mgoorevich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp for the home use. Mainly to listen to the music CD's. I have PMC DB1 monitors connected to it.
I am professional audio engineer and own my studio equiped with Pro monitors (mainly active) Genelec and Mackie HR824.
What can I say about Cabridge Audio 540A?
It's not transparent. It's too bight at 10-12 Khz. It doesn't provide deep bass and not well on sub frequencies either. Listening to this amp may be fatiquing if listening for a long time. I would not recommend this amp to those who is looking for the nutral sound. For me it colours the sound on some british, may be even tube alike manier.
The strong point is a very good stereo image and solid mid impression. Very sillent! Looks OK but not professional (but it's not intended to be).
There is a "learing curve" of a week for internal components to fit the speakers parameters.
After this week the sound remained still detailed but less bright. Although I am very confident that it boosts frequencies above 10 KHz.
It's fine for home but not for critical listeners or professionals.

Submitted by magisterludi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
Used this in a 2nd system with a pair of Wharfedale Emerald speakers and was
always more than pleased. Incredably natural and smooth sound, but never lacked for details. provided a nice 3D soundfield where the music was mostly free from the speakers. Could listen to that setup for hours, never fatiguing as some of the lower priced amps can be in this range. The bass is deep and rich and the highs although slightly rolled off are natural and not harsh.
It has 6 or 7 RCA inputs ; A/B speaker option; and preamp out. Certainly powerfull enough to drive 86dB effient speakers.
Has to be a best buy option for those on a budget. I highly recommend an audition if you are in the <$500 range.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Walker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a great amplifier. Pleasant and clean sound and enough power to drive my B&W DM 603 S2 speakers with ease.
At first I was not crazy about it but after replacing my NAD cd-player for a CA 540C Azur it all came together. Sounds terrific with all types of music. Warning: badly recorded cd's sound even worse.

Purchased At:   internet