Audiolab 8000S
Description: 60 watts x 2 channels Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Hagi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is my first "serious" Amplifier. Used mostly cheap amplifiers before that (JVC, Kenwood, Yamaha).
I decided few years ago to invest in a good stereo system for a 2000$ budget, And from all my searching and listening for 2 months I decided to go for the Audiolab 8000S and Elac BS-53 shelf speakers.
There was some annoying problems when i started using the amplifier :
1. there was some minor humming noise at medium volume level (Not that I reached that level, But I wanted it to be PERFECT)
2. The seperation between the sources wasn't good enough ("Solve" it by using one source in the end)

Anyway, I got used to love the amplifier after few months of using it.
Just a bit after a year I had it, I plugged in KOSS porta pro headphones, Which for some unknown reason burned one of the amplification side and i needed to take it for a 200$ repair.
Now, After using it for about 3 years, It started to make some funny noise on one of it's side - And yes, You guessed it right - The other side was burned this time....
I really like the way this amplifier sounds and push the speakers, But as far as reliability - I wont take it with me to a deserted island if I needed to hear music there.....

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by jakthelad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
One of the legends of hi-fi,built like a yankee aircraft carrier,more features then most modern amps,
and above all the sound,dynamic,open soundstage,good,not-in-yer face bass,and most imprtantly
a nuetrual sound that doesnt get in the way of your CD/Speakers/Turntable etc.

Downside? well no tone controls is a def minus esp if you have bright or very bassie speakers.
Im on my 3rd 8000s after briefly flirting with a Naim pre/power combo,good but not as good as
the Audiolb,so its back in my rack,next stop is a 8000c/8000p combo mehtinks.
Oh and if your thinking of getting a chinese flavour Audiolab,forget abou it! they dont sound a patch
on the Brit made ones,the volume has to be turned up twice as high to get anything near a decent sound
and even then its nowhere near as good(or well built)for that matter,the one i had came with its
top cover already bent! so do your self a big favour and look around for good second hand Brit
ones,you know it makes sense!

Submitted by andy ganley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
One of hi-fi's legends,currently on my 3rd one! built like a yank aircraft carrier,design is either retro cool or
rubbish,i love it and so to the millions who have bought it and its older 8000A sister.
The sound is as so often described as 'neutral' as in it doesnt come between any of your scources,which is why for years 'What Hi-Hi?' used Audiolabs as their reference system.
Do illustrate how good they are ive recently upgraded to a Naim pre/power combo and after a few months have gone back to the Audiolab so disapointed was i with the Naims,which while also beautifully built,and powerfull sounding with a big bold bass,just dont have the refined power of the 'Labs.

Oh and dont even think of buying the Chinese Audiolabs,the sound thin and weak in comparision,you have to turn the volume knob twice as high to get a decent sound and even then,they just dont sound like a brit built Audiolab,nothing does so save your money and look out for second hand 8000s or better yet 8000C/P combo.

Submitted by Simon TL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price Paid £350

Having recently realised that my 8000A is 25 years old and now got the kids moved into a room of their own I thought it was time to treat myself to an 8000S. It is teamed with the Audiolab CD player and tuner from some years ago. It is nice to be able to get equipment over such a long period that matches (my S is in black). And equipment that keeps on running too. One light bulb has gone in the CD display but that is all. I am using Spendor SP1 speakers - again 25 years old, sitting on Tangent stands of the same vintage, loaded with gravel and spiked into the floor.

I was expecting a modest improvement in the sound; the 8000A still sounded good after all these years, but the S is a significant step up. The big difference is more dynamic range. Everything else is just sharper, with a good soundstage to either side of the speakers, and depth too.

Like other reviewers I am already hauling out old CDs and rediscovering great music. Which is what this is all about!

Hopefully the S will last another 25 years even if I don't.

Submitted by nick200wrx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
The best amp in the world for the money. I paid £300 and could not believe the speed and dynamics. Not much of a writer when it comes to reviews I only want to say the stuff that counts and this amp is better than my cyrus 8 but only just. Another level can be achieved with the addition of the power amp.

Product model year:   2007