Home | Reviews | VCRs | Thomson

Thomson VPH7090 VCRs

4-head hifi video with Navi-click, Navi-link, tape library, PAL/NTSC playback

Submitted by Greg Choules a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the Thomson because the Grundig video heads were wearing out and I couldn't get replacements. Having got used to the superb archive facility of the 960 I needed something that would do similar. At first I thought I had found it in the 7090 but I am increasingly frustrated by the poor archive system. It was cheap though!

Purchased At:   Comet

Submitted by Bart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Originally I had purchased a sony SLV-SE700 because I own
a sony Wega TV (which is OK). The recording was really bad and playback of rented tapes gave a lot of noise, and some kind of reflections. After returning it I took another sony because the first had a malfunction in the tuner. The recording was better, but still unacceptable iameg quality (lots of noise).
Then I switched to the Thomson, the image quality is much higher, the recording is very good, sound is OK. This is the
VCR I'm going to keep.
BTW, the naviclick is really cool. I have used it a few times and it really works. Programming can't be much easier anymore.
The rewind speed is low compared to modern standards, but it's not as noisy as was the case for the sony. On the other hand, who cares about rewind speed.

Submitted by Keld Hjortskov a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is one intelligent VCR! Because I have a Thomson TV the VCR's setup was fool proof. Turn it on for the first time and it downloads all TV stations from the TV! Naming and order is the same. If you change the TV's channel order or name the VCR is automatically updated. No more "honey, what channel is Discovery on the VCR?"

And how about this feature: The Navi click program guide is updated automatically each morning at 8 am. This means you don't have to wait for the VCR to find the guide - Just scroll down the program list and select the program to record - Done programming!. Only flaw is if the Channel has irregular teletext program guides, the VCR can suggest faulty program info. Timer programming requires an awsome 15 entries and can only be done via the tv screen. Cumbersome when it happens to be the only way.

Picture is very good, freeze frame is perfect. Several editing features available (but not tested by me yet).

The VCR is a bit noisy during playback and recording.

Purchased At:   www.hifiklubben.dk