Home | Reviews | VCRs | Sony

Sony SLV N71 Hi Fi VCRs

4.18/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $129.95

Get it all on tape with Sony's SLV-N71 Hi Fi VHS Recorder. This Hi Fi Recorder features an Advanced Quickset Timer, which allows you to program the timer up to one month in advance; and Adaptive Picture Control, which adjusts recording parameters for the best performance, creating an ideal balance of picture sharpness and low video ""noise"" during playback. Zip past commercials with Sony's Commercial Pass feature as you watch, and enjoy the entertainment Sony brings home.

Submitted by Joel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
Bought this VCR for ten dollars at a Savers. One of the best VCR's I have, it performs flawlessly, and being now twelve years old is still in top performance. I have been collecting VCR's over the past few years, and now this is the only one I use. The best thing about it is its durability and picture/sound quality, but the next best thing is the clock. The VCR can keep its time for about four to six hours (not sure, but hours) when the power is out, Amazing. I always run my audio through receiver, and this VCR has pristine sound, it also looks good on an HD TV. If you still record from TV to VCR, this VCR has a very good Tuner, recordings come out very nice in EP. If you are reading this review today thinking about buying one on ebay or Amazon, don't hesitate (Unless you are buying it untested with no returns) If the previous owner treated it good, this VCR still operates today as if new. I use it all the time, for the past two and a half years I have yet to see any problems with it. This machine is one I cannot imagine eating any tapes, it has my trust with the most irreplaceable cassettes we own, it is a great machine. It is a SONY!

Submitted by bradley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
This Vcr is very durable, not too heavy, and is fun to use. With it's dial, you can set the timer and the clock.

Submitted by nutrilabs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Dollar for dollar, it's one of the best VCR's on the market!

Submitted by palsgraff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Puchased to add to my home theater set up. It has worked flawlessly since I received it. Fair picture from recording cable broadcasts. Excellent picture from commercially recorded tapes. Easy to set up. Handy, intuitive remote.

Purchased At:   Dbuys.com

Submitted by jabbas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had the VCR for about 2 months, and it's amazing. A vast improvement over my 6 year old RCA which died on me suddenly. I am using the VCR almost exclusively for recording and playback, seeing how I watch all movies on DVD and not VHS. The main feature that attracted me to this unit was the QuickDial Timer. There's a dial on the front on the TV which allows you to set the VCR for programming in about 20 seconds. You don't have to turn the TV on or anything to set it, it's the easiest system of programming a VCR I've ever seen, and I love it and use it daily. The playback is great on tapes both recorded by this machine and by other VCRs. The only movie I watched was 10 minutes of the Phantom Menace to test out it's movie playback, and it looked great, a vast improvement over my old VCR. Other great features include a well laid out easy to use remote, letting you know how far you are into a tape as well as the time remaining on the tape and letting you fast forward/rewind in super high speed to a certain point on the tape (i.e. set it to fast forward 3 hours in and it goes there and plays automatically). There is also an auto tracking feature which automatically adjust any picture to optimal quality, and it works flawlessly. The unit is also the same width of other home theater components, so matches my other components nicely.

The only weakness I can think of is that after about 5 minutes, a tape tha's paused automatically resumes playback. That can be a bit annoying, but isn't a huge deal. There may even be a way to turn this feature off, I just haven't found it yet.

In short, I can think of no reason not to give this VCR a perfect rating. It was very affordable, and has done exactly what I want it to do. Granted, I use this VCR only for recording/playback, so someone out there who's using a VCR as their primary video source rather than DVD may be interested in looking at some of the S-VHS players. JVC makes good S-VHS players for about $160.00, but for the way I'm using the VCR I couldn't justify the extra $60.00

PLease feel free to e-mail me about this VCR or any other components in my system. Thanks!

My System: