Mitsubishi HSU580-590 VCRs

4 Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR

Submitted by TJP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is for an HSU580.
I used a very high quality Hitachi VCR before this (for 17 years and still working!) but I finally decided that it was time to get a new VCR. Mostly I wanted HiFi Stereo in a VCR, which the Hitachi didn't have. I got this Mitsubishi and it has turned out to be a flawless VCR -- picture and sound are perfect. The super fast forward and rewind seemed to stop working after a year or so (still winds at regular speed), but it may be due to the cheap tapes I use. It keeps good time -- never has to be adjusted -- which is important for timed recording. It's head self-cleaning function works very well. The remote control is good, too. I would buy another one of these without hesitation (although it doesn't have S-video output). I think it works better than my Hitachi did, even when it was new.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by Erik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
To hit this price point, Misubishi stripped the flying erase head and power meters that is included in their High-end models (if you don't do editing, you won't miss this stuff) but included virtually every other feature, this thing is loaded. The picture quality is excellent and the sound quality is great when played back through my home theater. It performs like a machine that cost more than $500 but I got mine through NetMarket for $220. Don't waste your money on that other junk. The Mitsubishi is a Best Buy.

Submitted by Ted Pokorski a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for 6 months now. I was able to get it for $220. I've been very happy with it. I like the remote with the jog-dial function. I'm amazed at the ability for the picture to stay steady with the slow-motion functions. The picture quality is better than other brands in it's price range also. I think for the money you can't get a better VCR, certainly Mitsubishi is a far better value than JVC or Sony.

Submitted by A. Y. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought my VCR less than a year ago for $199. The VCR is loaded with everything you need including 4 heads, hi-fi stereo, VCR Plus+ Gold, Satellite TV control, jag/shuttle dial, PerfectTape, and auto setup. I am very happy with this VCR. It delivers excellent picture and sound even if your tape is not in a good condition. But the most impressive feature of this product is that the picture remains clear when puasing, and viewing in slow motion in both directions. It performs a lot better than my other top of the line VCR which I bought for $599 two year ago which happens to be a S..., so I give this one a five.

TARA LABS: