Mitsubishi HS U776 VCRs

- PerfecTape Select: Analyzes the video cassette tape and makes fine adjustments for improved recordings and playback. It also allows the customer to preprogram the VCR for a desired level of picture sharpness.
- RentalXpress: Designed specifically for customers who regularly rent tapes, it automatically rewinds a tape when it reaches the end, ejects it, and then shuts off the VCR.
- 7-Step Shuttle: Provides precise tape speed control similar to that of a jog dial. Simply press the Pause button and then press FF or RW up to seven times for multiple frame-by-frame speeds in forward or reverse.
- OTR2: Mitsubishi's unique, easy-to-use method of one-touch program recording also provides a simple way to delay and extend the recording time. When first activated it automatically rounds the start time to the nearest half-hour and sets the recording time to 30 minutes. Each additional button press delays the start time by one half-hour (up to 24 hours). Pressing a 2nd button extends the recording time by increments of 30 minutes (up to 8 hours).
- Auto Clock Set: Adjusts the VCR clock setting automatically after receiving the time code transmitted in some TV broadcasts.
- Precision Gap Heads: Offers improved resolution by maintaining a flat video bandwidth, where lesser heads produce high-frequency losses and a corresponding lack of picture detail.
- EnergyStar Rating: Assures that these VCRs consume minimal AC power when not in use.

Submitted by rw1302 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the "top of the line" VCR from Mitsubishi because I had returned 2 other brand VCR''s for distored recording on standard VHS. I found this VCR has the same problem. I have 2 other VCRs on the system and tried the same connections I am using on this unit. Both VCR''s taped well. After recording a tape in the SLP speed, there are color bars running through the picture: most distinct in dark scenes. I don''t know if this is due to the increased copyguard coding in the VCR, but I am taping from cable TV.

There is a common thread between the 3 VCR''s. All 3 had the same problem and all 3 were made in Malaysia. After I return this VCR, I am going to purchase one not made in Malaysia to see if that VCR has the same problem. If it does, then I will look for a used VCR because the noise problem apparently would have originated from the added copyguard coding in the new VCR''s.

One would think that a top of the line VCR would be able to tape in slp halfway decent.

Purchased At:   Frys

Submitted by Leif Lauridsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I must have tried five different VCR's different brands and models in this price range. All recorded excellent in Super VHS mode. However, I was disapointed with the S-ET mode. None, except the Mitsubishi, had a decent picture.
I had stayed away from the Mitsubishi as I did not care for the looks of the unit. However, performance counts and after it was in my cabinet I really turned out not to be an issue.
I paid full retail, something I do not typically do. However, this is one but I don't regret. Record quality is excellent regardless of the type of tape used.

Purchased At:   Good Guys