Mitsubishi HS-U440 VCRs

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR w/ Universal Remote

Submitted by PAUL GARCIA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
EXCELLENT VCR FOR THE MONEY AND QUALITY HATS OFF TO MITSU?

Purchased At:   2ND HAND

Submitted by Woo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was shopping for a New VCR since my old GE Mono VCR died on me that I only had that on since summer of 1996. I was looking at the time for a stereo VCR that is simple to use. The price of the unit played a big part of the purchase since. I only use the VCR for old movies pre-dvd's. And I just wanted a solid HI FI VCR. The Model U440 is a solid VCR I never recorded of a VCR. But I might do that soon. But I think I might just get a TV Vivo thing just for that.
Just to tell you want kind of a system I have now own is a new Krell Home Theater Standard with a Krell KAV-250a and KAV-250a/3 amps. And for a dvd player a Proceed DVD transport. For speakers I have NHT. I hope this will help you make up your mind in finding the right VCR for yourself.

I gave it four stars since I never used the tuner yet on the VCR.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Nick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
i got this VCR for only $80, talk about a deal!!!good picture, and nice remote, cheap, if you can pick one of this up get it. it is worth it.

looking for deals like this E-mail me i can get them for you!!!

Submitted by Ted a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
The 440 doesn't exist anymore. I think the 445 replaced it (which I owned).

This unit stinks.

It records and plays horribly the picture quality of the cable signal was noticeably degraded.

The VCR waits about 3 seconds after you enter the channel number to switch. Bearable at first, incredibly annoying after a while.

It will not let you cancel a programmed recording. And it won't let you change the clock if you have an existing program in the VCR. Why are these related? Well, I programmed the VCR to tape the X-Files. I turned the power off so set the timer and the VCR reprogrammed the clock an hour before. I noticed that it did this (x-files starting in 15 minutes, when I turned the VCR off it immediately started recording) so I stopped it and tried to debug it. Turns out the auto-clock set itself to eastern time (I'm in central). Ok, just change the clock. You can't do it if you have a programmed recording in the memory. Fine. Cancel the recording. WRONG! Can't do that either! I guess the only solution was to unplug the unit for a few minutes and hope it cleared the memory. But I was already late going to the airport so I just hit record. Stupid thing picked up the recording as the program and stopped recording right when the X-files started. So now I'm going to be completely confused when part 2 of 2 comes up next week.

What a piece of crap! I returned it 2 days later for the panasonic listed above. Thank GOD they took it back (suckers!). This Mitsubishi reminds me of the Terminator or the Matrix. Stupid machine just took over and thought it knew what was going on. BIG MISTAKE!

Why did I buy this? Well, it was only $130. I can put up with some compromises, but all of those listed above were too much.

STAY AWAY!

Submitted by Rob Reeves a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to add that Mitsu has always had the best GUI I have come across, particularly when it comes to searching for index marks on the tape. My girlfriend's Sony is almost unusable in this regard! Keep up the good work Mitsubishi!!!

CSB 1206 BLK: