Dish Network DishPlayer 500 Channel Satellite System TV Receivers and DVRs

1.6/5 (5 Reviews)

DISHPlayer 500 is the only digital satellite TV system that gives you the ultimate freedom to watch what you want when you want to watch it. With DISH Network programming, you get the most digital TV channels and choices. Plus, you get the ability to pause, replay and instantly record your favorite movies, sports and sitcoms without the hassle of videotapes. In addition, for those of you who want to access the Internet and send and receive E-mails right from your TV, DISHPlayer 500 has a 56k-capable modem that gives you the option to subscribe to WebTV Plus Interactive service. DISHPlayer offers many other exciting features like ""TV Search, "" which allows you to search the online Program Guide by category, title or actor.

Submitted by Sixto Fiugeroa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
IT COMPLETLY SUCKS ;this system has been nothing but problems since we got it. Right now the boX in the living room has ceased working for the last two days(IT DOES'NT EVEN TURN ON ANYMORE), and the one in the bedroom stopped showing public channels last week. Service support is unexistent, and if you do find someone to help ( which I have'nt ) help is the last thing you'll ever get from them. If whoever reads this has anything to care about this company, or anything to do with this company, I have to let u know that your service with us COMPLETELY SUCKS. YOU CHARGE MORE THAN TIME WARNER AND YOUR SERVICE IS BY FAR THE WORSE I'VE EVER HAD. YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPARE TO CABLE, AND OH YES THE SIGNAL SUCKS EVEN MORE. THANK U FOR THE RIP OFF BUT NO MORE OF THIS CRAP. Our contract expires in september, if I don't get resolve on this, I'm going to make sure this message gets out there to those that like I used to believe that the dish would be a good investment.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Saintale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had the Dishplayer for about two years. During that time, I've grown to hate it's quirks and bugs. Recordings that end after one minute, sound drop-outs, lost recordings, complete freezes, and total system errors abound.

Tonight I've had enough and I'm getting rid of it.

Purchased At:   Dish Network

Submitted by Jack Huffman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had my DishPlayer 500 for almost 2 years and have been very dissapointed with DishNetwork. The unit continually flips out due to "software problems" that are somehow never DishNetworks fault, according to their tech support. The latest line is that it is WebTV's poor software causing the unit not to record or pause. I do not use WebTV but still have the problem. DishNetwork simply shrugs their shoulders and could care less. I am leaving for the competition as they seem to value the business.

Purchased At:   sears

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had this system for over a year now and I'm on my third Dishplayer. Hardware has been reliable but whoever wrote the software for this system needs some serious schooling. Every week is kind of exciting as I won't know what new way it's going to find to screw up. It regularly loses my personal menu setups. Turns on by itself and won't turn off (have to unplug it). Recording feature quits working. Screen blacks out momentarily then turns back on. System powers down by itself while I'm watching. Etc. etc. etc. Tech support can only give you reset codes to enter which usually works but for only a few weeks or so. Bottom line, avoid this system.

Purchased At:   Dishnetwork promotion

Submitted by Ted a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is basivcally like TiVo for your Dish system, with the satelite receiver built in and fairly well integrated into one box. Functions well MOST of the time. It's great to be able to set up recordings and watch them whenever you want... at the same quality as the original satelite broadcast. You can also pause live TV. Original unit has only about 10-12 hour recording capacity... but it;s easy to drop a larger hard drive in. I recently pulled the 17GB drive and put in a 45GB drive. Now I ahve over 30 hours of digital recording available. Menu system is mostly usable and Dish does upgrade the software occasionally to add new features or enhance current ones. Overa;;, I'm very happy with my DishPlayer.

Purchased At:   from Dish Network promotion