Philips DVD795SA Multiple DVD Players

• Step forward/ backward
  • Slow motion
  • Title / chapter/ track select
  • Skip next / skip previous
  • Repeat (Chapter/ title/ all) or (Track / all)
  • A-B repeat, Shuffle & Scan

Submitted by steve_e a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
I picked this up used at a local thrift store for $16.99. It's hooked up to a Mcintosh MA6200 running KEF 103.2's . Awesome imaging and very detailed playing cd's in stereo (which is why I bought it). If you can find one at a garage sale, don't hesitate!

Submitted by brownieboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
The player is quite good, both for DVD and audio. SACD reproduction is more than acceptable. However, this player refuses to play certain CDs for no apparent reasons. These CDs are totally non-suspect (such as two from the recent Beatles' Capitol Albums Vol. 1 box), and play back normally on any other machine.

After contacting Philips and purchasing a firmware-upgrade DVD from them, it turns out that this upgrade method does not work, and there is no firmware upgrade for this machine. On top of that, Philips has discontinued it.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Marcos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
My interest lies in 2 channel stereo and video is just...video. That aside, my DVD players were pretty outdated and I was looking for something a bit better when AA had this unit on sale for $150. What attracted me was the SACD capability in addition to the video so I pulled the trigger. All I can say is that this is an extremely respectable unit and the CD reproduction is very good, even compared to my $500 Cambridge 640CD. It also lets me fool around with SACD, which is quite interesting and I don't have to invest $1500 just to check it out. I think for the casual listener, this is all they need in addition to a receiver and even the enthusiast who is not a videophile can find a lot to like at $150. A giant killer? Probably not, but at $150 it is a very good buy.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by jwh2323 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this on ebay because it was advertised to have a broken video stage but a perfectly good audio stage. Took a risk: I was planning on using it as a 5 cd transport - it plays sacds, and I'm a big sacd guy so I thought I'd sell my sony 5 disc sacd player if this one played sacds as well as my philips 963sa, which is fantastic Well, I get the thing out, hook it up - video too, just for fun - and everything works. All the settings were for a projection set, so someone just didn't know how to work the menu. But I bought this for audio: I'm interested in the upsampling and the sacd playback. Though it definitely leans towards the 'sweeter' side of things in its presentation of the high frequencies, this player is shockingly good. I'm conservative big-time with the one-liners, but this is giant killer stuff, no question. Now, I didn't pay the full retail; maybe that's why I get this impression. But I don't think so. I've seen it online brand new in the big shops for 129.99 (J&R) and I'd pay the 299 retail for this thing, no sweat. I mean, on redbook, it throws a wonderful stage, very wide and tall, has beautiful frequency range, great midrange, and the analogue outs put a better signal in my preamp than the eitheir digital out hooked to the preamp's internal dac, hands down. Good bass extentsion too. And the video job it does is quite good, though not as good as the 963sa, if you're wondering. However, if I'm reading Moby Dick and want to listen to 2-channel redbook, there's no way I'd want to single disk-it in the 963sa. I'm not going to be "missing out". I'd load five into the 795sa and enjoy. Really, I've always laughed at philips gear, but I'm working full time now, on my own and wanting the best for the least, right, and this player has totally stunned me.

Negatives are itty, and all on the video side, though if you want a good dvd player that will let you load up all five disks of your extended LOTRs extended set, this would be my sweet pick. One audio neg: the bass management is not as good as the 963sa, no question. You have to choose between a sub or large fronts, you can't have both, and there's no bass management in two channel. That's cool for those of you with big-gunner avrs, like what I've got, but if you're running some 60hz bookshelves on stands, they may rattle if you've a preamp without bass management.

Problem with The Beatles' The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1 and Philips DVD795SA changer

I purchased this boxed set and played the CDs on my Philips DVD795SA DVD/SACD Changer. To my surprise, it played the first 3 CDs with jump cuts; the 4th CD ("Beatles '65") didn't play at all. I exchanged the box at the store, and had the same problem with the new sample. All four CDs from the box se ... Read More »

Phillips DVD795SA???????

I just bought this DVD player last week. ([url]http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PHIDVD795SA&product_name=DVD795SA%20DVD/SACD%20Five%20Disc%20Changer[/url]) But how does one tell if you are able to play burnt/backed up/copied DVD's? Thanks, JasonRead More »

Does anyone have any experience with the Philips DVD795SA?

Hi, I have a few questions about this player and I was hoping some members here would have some answers. There is suprisingly little info on this player on the net. How is the picture quality compared to a player like the Pioneer DV-563a? Does it come in both colors, silver and black, or j ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: