Onkyo DV-CP701 Multiple DVD Players

2.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $239.00

• disc exchange (change 5 discs while the 6th keeps playing)
  • plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD
  • plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 and WMA CD-R & CD-RW
  • plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
  • selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
  • 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter
  • Direct Digital Path
  • optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
  • 1 set of A/V outputs (composite, S-video, and 480i/480p component video)
  • remote control
  • audio signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
  • dual 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converters
  • 17-1/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 18-1/4"D

Submitted by jrohio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I got three of these at the really cheap price to use as CD changers. Playing MP3 CD's they are actually pretty nice units. I would say the audio is close to, if not equal to my Pioneer Elite CD player and Elite DVD player. I tried hooking it up to my HD TV via S-video and was not impressed with the picture at all. However, they have served me well as cheap CD players in the main system, my office, and the garage.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by kysrsoze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought a Samsung DLP TV and had to replace my old Sony non-progressive DVD player. I wanted to get a Sony ES DVD player, but decided to wait until I can get one with DVI output, so I thought I'd buy a decent quality lower-end model. I have always been very happy with the quality level of Onkyo equipment, but was sorely disappointed by this piece.

I spent good money on Acoustic Research component cables and expected great video performance, but the picture on most movies was extremely grainy and the machine often threw green artifacts on the screen. On scenes with bushes, for example, the bushes looked like they had been colored green with a computerized kids' drawing program. This is definitely not good, considering it's the second-most expensive DVD player Circuit City sells. The photo player was absolutely worthless. It took at least 15 seconds to load a picture and the machine kept locking up, forcing me to turn it off and on again.

As usual, the sound quality was absolutely outstanding. DVDs sound incredible. In fact, the sound on CDs was clearer/more defined and had a much more noticeable soundstage than my Onkyo CD changer.

Still, the video performance was so bad that I took the machine back and exchanged it for a Sony DVP-NC685V, which has a really incredible picture. The sound on that machine is great for movies, but very dull for CDs (good thing I still have the Onkyo CD changer).

I'm being generous giving this unit 2 stars, mainly due to the great sound quality. If you don't have a high-res TV, the picture will probably be very good. But if you've got a digital TV, don't bother.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by rascolnicov11 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this player. It won't playback a good percentage of DVDs. I have ruled out any non-player related problems. It happens with brand new, out of the box DVDs with the DVD Video format (this is what you buy from the store). I am in the US, and use the NTSC (region 1) format, no problem with that either. I read similar reviews where the same problem was mentioned.

Purchased At:   CircuitCity

Submitted by David Wingfield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
Beware this product. I had to return the first unit I purchased because the tint was too green. It seemed like anything green was extremely green and many other colors, such as gray, brown, and blonde hair, had a greenish hue. I tried adjusting the tint on both TV and DVD but this did nothing.
The replacement unit still has the green problem (it is not the TV - cable and HD programs look great and my old DVD player looked fantastic)though it was significantly better. However, this unit locks up and won't detect disks. I watched one DVD on it then tried to switch to the next. The carousel rotated through all 6 disks and said that there were no disks in the tray. After a few days I tried rebooting the system, and it worked for 3 movies, but tonight it just locked up again. I tried rebooting this time, but the player still does not recognize any disks. I have watched fewer than 6 movies on this 6 disk carousel and have had it lock up twice and had to return it at least once. Great bargain at $300......

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great DVD player.

I have never seen such amazing video quality. The colors are excellent, I have never seen anything better.

The price is good, not great but good.

Sound is great, no complaints.

Purchased At:   Ebay