Sony DAV-C700 Home Theater in a Box

3.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Have you dreamed in Sony lately? Your DVD Dream begins with the DAV-C700 DVD Dream System. This DVD/CD/SACD/receiver six-speaker system includes a 5-disc DVD/CD/SACD changer for a host of entertainment at your fingertips, 2-way front speakers with 2-3/8-inch woofers, center and surround speakers with 2-3/8-inch full-range drivers, and a subwoofer with a 7-inch driver. Listen to our Digital Cinema Sound System boom, as you enjoy the movie theater entertainment Sony brings home.

Submitted by Chris Clark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had my DAV C700 system for 8 years and have not had one single issue with it. I bought it because we live in a small condo and it was a great system for the money, for the space we have. Yes, at times the remote was annoying to read and the system itself did seem to get warm if it was on all day, but again, I've never had any performance issues with dvd's, cd's or radio tuner. Alas, my biggest issue now, is the technology is old. It only has component and S-video connections for video, so my brand new LED tv will not view in High-Def. The picture is not good running on component compared to HDMI. So, I have a decision to make and it will probably be to give this system to my son, and we'll buy another low price system for small rooms, that has HDMI connections.

Submitted by Kevin Parker a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was in love with this system when I first started using it, but as time wears on I have come to realize it is junk. I own a lot of Sony equipment and have always been impressed by the quality of their products. My television and VCR are well made and have provided me years of dependable, reliable service.
The first thing I noticed about the system that I found irritating was the remote. The thing looks really cool, but it's copious array of buttons only confuse the user. Once the system is the way you like it, all you need are the standard play, stop, and function buttons.
My biggest gripe is with the design of the machine. When you play a DVD the thing gets HOT. The vents are on half of the top, so be sure to keep everything off the machine. I have had mine in the shop twice because of some heat related failure which even my diligence could not prevent.
One annoying design flaw is that once the system fails there is no manual override to release the disks. I now own two rental DVD's that went to the shop with the machine.
The warranty pays for the repairs, but not the DVD's trapped in the system or the time it takes to get it to a dealer. The bottom line is that I bought the name because I expect the machine to work and it has shown itself to be a lemon. After three repairs I can return it for another one, but I will not have another DAV-C700 in my house.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Leof a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this with and for a friend who lives in a small apartment in NY, and knows nothing about electronics. This was the best you can do for the buck, in limited space. Even I, who has a much larger system, was impressed with the sound, lots of real weight to the bass and crosses over nicely to the small front/rear speakers. Hides 5 DVD, SACD or CD discs inside, relatively easy to use except for the small buttons on the very beautiful remote - looks like plexiglass.

It would be perfect if it had one or more extra inputs on the rear. Only has two usable ones (the optical if used, supercedes one of the two analogue inputs. An external input switcher would allow more inputs.

This a great buy if you have limited space or want the home theater to be more or less invisible.

Purchased At:   J and R, New York

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Looking for a small system to fill various duties and this unit does it for me!!!

Pretty Good little system(50WX5 + 100 sub). Bass extension is solid (sorry never measured). No satellite and subwoofer gap in the frequency range.

Associated Equipment: