Samsung HT-SK5
Description: <ul> <li>5.1 channel Klipsch speaker system, with satellite, 2 way speakers and passive subwoofer</li> <li>Integrated DVD Player with 480P progressive scan video output</li> <li>Digitally-tuned AM/FM radio with 30 programmable memory presets</li> </ul>

Submitted by dbs2 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I found this system to be complicated to use and it has recently failed. When it was working, I was the only one in the family who could get it properly set up when changing the system from TV to DVD or back. Then, it started coming up with an error message, "PROTECTION," whereafter it shut down. Samsung has been singularly unhelpful. I found others on the web who experienced the same problem and I tried all the things they tried. Samsung simply said it must be a bad fan, by my experience and that of others on the web is that the fan works fine. I am disgusted and will never buy another Samsung product.

Purchased At:   Sound Track

Submitted by babylips a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
My first impression of the sound quality was very good, that is, for a small room. I improved the sound by replacing the Klipsh speakers with CSW satellites. Picture quality is also decent. Neither audio or video quality is impressive, but I would recommend it to someone in an apartment, dormatory, other small viewing area, or just someone on a budget. I look forward to replacing it asap. The subwoofer's response is muffled and attacks are loose. *I have experienced a 'fluttering' buzz in the right rear speaker that can be noticed during soft periods during dvd playback. Samsung has attempted to repair the issue twice, and now the unit is in for a third (3) attempt. Samsung customer support is very polite, yet very disorganized. I have received conflicting information and directions from their service department, not to mention their inability to fix my problem.
The remote control is awkward, and the onscreen menus are awkward. Set-up and operation is the most frustrating part of this product. This is a consumer/casual listener targeted product, yet the set-up and operation is the most difficult AV product I've used.
Consider this product if you want a small all-in-one home theater and you have limited space and/or budget. But, consider other brands.

Purchased At:   Best Buy