Panasonic SC-HT1000
Description: <ul> <li>plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-RAM, and DVD-R discs</li> <li>records to DVD-RAM and DVD-R</li> <li>plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs</li> <li>built-in Dolby Digital®/DTS®/Pro Logic® II decoding</li> <li>selectable progressive-scan video (playback only)</li> <li>6-channel amp (60 watts x 2 for front speakers, 220 watts for center,</li> <li>60 watts x 2 for rear speakers, and 240 watts for subwoofer)</li> <li>tuner with 12 FM/12 AM presets</li> </ul>

Submitted by Rayden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Panasonic HT1000 not knowing much about HTIB's but wanted to buy a system for my parents' living room. I have a 25k plus home theater and wasn't expecting much from any HTIB. I checked out a SONY HTIB but once I discovered the HT1000 records to DVD the choice was easy. The unit itself looks beautiful and the speakers are weighty and feel solid. I was skeptical about achieving excellent sound quality from a HTIB but when I hooked everything up and listened for the first time, I was shocked at how great this system sounds. The clarity and spaciousness of the sound was amazing. While I care more about quality than volume, the Panasonic could reach very high volumes without distortion. I set the subwoofer to its highest setting and it provides very clean, decent bass. While it is not going to knock down walls, anyone who wants more accurate reproduction of bass, instead of sheer volume, will truly enjoy this subs performance. As for the DVD player/recorder, playback quality of all DVD's I tried was excellent. I have recorded some shows off of DirecTV onto DVD-R and the quality, at the SP setting, is incredible. The recording looks as good as the original. All in all, I am extremely happy with this system and highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   PC Richards