Panasonic SC-DP1
Description: DVD-Audio, DVD Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-R disks. CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 and WMA, Video CDs and JPEG images saved to CD-R or CD-RW discs. Two-speaker home theater system. Built-in Dolby Digital/DTS 2-channel decoder. Two-mode advanced surround feature.

Submitted by matchpointn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wanted to buy a ‘good’ mini system. The basic assumption that ‘I want to by another system’ was removed and a real search for a good system was done. This little one has it all. Probably more then you need.
My main criterion of search was ‘sound quality’ and I really found it in it. Its sounds way better then all the ‘big’ named little competitors around it. I tested the system in Circuit City and it sounded way better then Onkyo and Sony on same CD tracks. Thanks to the patent Circuit City guys cause I know that I was annoying them with playing the same track over and over again on every good damn system they have.
I found the sound quality much better then almost all the shelf systems. I am not going to compare this little giant with any of the home theater receivers but I am sure it would have out beaten quite a few there too.
Frequency response is awesome, right from the very low to the very high. I listen a to classical, rock as well as jazz and in all these, mid range matters a lot and this system really handles the frequencies like a dream. I don’t know if it is Panasonic’s double re-mastering technology or what but it does makes sound come to life. The sound quality is so good that I don’t get to use the 4 preset equalizer options, which I find very satisfying as I get to hear the sound and music as it was meant to be.
A 100W RMS bi amp gives a decent sound output for a listener like me, who gets into a mood to listen to music late at night and don’t want the next door guy dialing 911.
Even though 100W is enough to make rich sound its not enough to make rich bass so you can choose to compliment you system with a subwoofer, the system has got support for an external powered subwoofer with a three step subwoofer level control too. I have attached my box with Acoustic Research S108PS 8” subwoofer (another $150 including shipping and a monster cable), this makes it really complete, may be a little more then that.
Bottom line – get the system, it’s a steal for the sound quality it delivers and the features it has for the price.