Onkyo LS-V950 Home Theater in a Box

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Envision a home theater system so extraordinary, it will move you before you even turn it on. With it’s sleek curved design and cool cobalt blue display the DR-S2.2 is packed with features. For starters there’s a progressive scan DVD player that offers the latest advancements in video quality. Next we add in a high-current five-channel amplifier and onboard decoders so you will be able to enjoy all your favorite movies and music. Completing the package is a high-quality speaker ensemble consisting of four two-way bass reflex satellites, dual driver center channel speaker and a thundering 120-watt powered subwoofer. Even the powerful remote control is encased in aluminum bestowing a feel of quality typically reserved for equipment costing thousands.

Submitted by jmichaelf a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
As this was my first entry to a 5.1 home theater system I am limited in my listening and viewing experience. Before purchasing the Onkyo I had a $100 Apex DVD player plugged into a 10 year old Aiwa bookshelf stereo. Not exactly high tech. After a year with this device I've come to know and love it in a way that I never though possible.

When I began researching home theater equipment it was important to have something compact with as much I/O as possible and decent quality. After testing my friend's Sony home theater it was clear that I wanted an all in one system. Enter the Onkyo LSV950.

From the moment I viewed the rear panel of this box I knew it must be mine. After auditioning the unit at Circuit City I brought it home and set it up. Initially, I was blown away. This system was the upgrade from God.

The bass boomed (a little too much, I hadn't tuned it yet and the sub was fully knobbed) and the highs were as clear and crisp as I could've imagined. Watching movies was a dream (and in surround too!). Once tuned there seems to be a little lacking in the mids. They're a little muddy, but this may be more to do with the location of the stereo speakers. The cross over to the sub is very clean and blended. It's difficult to tell where the sub picks up and the sats drop out. With the volume cranked, playing a CD you'd be hard pressed to find distortion from anything, but the highest highs and the lowest lows, although, it will distort at max volume.

The remote is very intuitive and controls almost everything in my cabinet (not the Turtle Beach AudioTron). The configuration menus are clear and easily navigatible. The player came out of the box set to display at 16:9, but changing to 4:3 was a snap.

There are two video inputs, Video1 and V2. I have my PS2 connected via RCA for video and SPDIF for 5.1 surround. My VCR is plugged in via RCAs and my computer via SPDIF and S-Video.

Ocassionally switching from Video1 to the FM Tuner will still show video from the VCR to the TV while playing what's on the radio. This is not always recreatable and not really a gripe, but an observation. There are short comings, however, as there would be with any all-in-one solution. The inherent shortcoming is the lack of options regarding listening/viewing. If, for instance, I want to listen to a CD, I can't watch muted TV at the same time. Or, if I want to watch weird, art DVD's with terrible music (The Brothers Quai), I can't choose to listen to the radio or some other input while watching said DVD. The lack of an eq, even preset, is also kind of annoying. Not being able to raise the lows for a boomy song and then lower them for a movie is something I find I wish for regularly.

However, for anyone looking for an entry level system, suffering limited living space or in need of a compact bedroom 5.1 setup, this would by my first suggestion. This is, by far, better than any other all-in-one system I auditioned and researched while on my quest.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by RobL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the best home theater system for the price range under $1000.00. The video quality from the progessive scan DVD is great. The sound is crystal clear. And the setup was very easy. The sound from these speakers fill the room so well that they make themself transparent. Excelent blending between the sub and speakers that make them sound like one. I am very happy with and enjoy this system so far. I am planning on upgrade the speaker cable for better listening experience

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by mcv3330 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
After several months of research & testing, I bought the Onkyo Envsion LSV950 and have had it for almost 4 months now. I can't say enough good things about it.

-The satellite speakers are all full-range bass-reflex with a solid build to them. Don't be fooled by the low wattage rating. This system has big, full sound with clarity to match, even at low volumes (I have 12 ft ceilings in a 15 x 20 living room and there is more than enough to go around.) There is even a "latenight" feature that will narrow the dynamic range of the sound in Dolby Digital mode making it easier to hear if someone is sleeping or if you have annoying neighbors.
-The center channel is also full-range bass-reflex design and offers a very clear and accurate signal.
-The subwoofer is incredible... far superior to any other "all in one" unit I listened to (in and around that price range) and rivals many high end subs you would add to a component system.

The Envision has many great all around features. The progressive scan dvd player offers Dolby Digital, DTS, & Pro Logic 2 and is a must for any HDTV. I have it hooked up to a new model 53" HD Panasonic widescreen and the picture is immaculate. (I used an in-depth calibration technique for my tv and use high-end component wiring - both of which I highly recommend.)
The cd player will play anything I have - cd, cdr, mp3 with no problem and excellent sound quality. It offers several different programming features to listen to the songs in a particular order if that's your thing. You can also choose from several accurate sound effects including Orchestra, Unplugged, Studio-mix, and TV Logic. I tested a cd for each and they are impressive...Charlotte Church wailing opera tunes will give you chills while a John Digweed mix will have your neighbors pounding on the walls in fury.

There are several other nice, little tweaking adjustment like listening angle, individual speaker volume control, bass/treble boost, and separate subwoofer volume to name a few. Set up is a breeze and the overall visual design is very impressive using a modern approach incorporating silver & grays with a vibrant, blue display and an offset front side panel highlighted with a blue light for effect. If for some reason you don't like it, there is a feature that allows you to dim it or turn it off. The remote is great and functional.

All in all, you can't beat this system for the price. For those of you that have been looking in the $300-$500 range, I know there is a wide selection of systems offering many of the same features, but it boils down to sound quality & durability...spend a little more and go for this one. For the rest of you looking at high-end systems (i.e Bose, Nakamichi), save your money for wiring. You'll need to spend about $200-300 for good wires/cables. I use/recommend following (all Monster Cable/THX certified):
Component cable-$70

Hope this helps.

Purchased At:   J & R Music & Comput

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought it and used it for about a month then returned it. The bass was outstanding, the mids good, but I could not get past the high's. I just thought the high range was completely unsatisfactory. Maybe it is because I am used to the bigger speakers or I got a bad set, or maybe it was my living room, but I could not handle the high end. The bass will impress you though, just be sure the highs are up to par make sure you try it out. I returned got the Pioneer 7.1 channel DSV-811s and Infinity HTS-20 and two extra sats. You cannot compete with the Infinity highs. They are just crystal clear. The system I have now is completely clear, for about $70 less. I sure some people love this system, but there really is no way to tell until you get it home and set it up. Make sure you try it before you buy it.

Purchased At:   Circuit city

Submitted by R390LM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
This system is really a knockout. To start, the Onkyo LSV950 is small...yet powerful, simple...yet full of up-to-date features, and beautiful both outside and within. I remember passing through Circuit City a few months ago and coming across this system. Wow! The Lord of The Rings sounded excellent! I sat down for a good hour and engulfed the awesome surround sound from these tiny speakers. The subwoofer was a blast as well. I loved the appearance of the receiver/DVD player. After much thinking, I bought several home theater systems, speakers and receivers. Nothing matched the quality I remember that small Onkyo system possessed. I forgot to mention the progressive scan feature-picture is top notch. So, I learned my lesson and just ordered it today. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Purchased At:   Circuit City