Kenwood HTB-503
Description: Home Theater in a Box. Dolby Digital/DTS receiver, 5 speakers and subwoofer

Submitted by phillycaster a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
** This is for the HTB504DV - thus the higher price! **

I was gutting my family room and figured that as long as I had the walls open I'd go the home theater route since I could easily run wires all over the room.

Read the reviews here and ended up getting the HTB504DV since it had a DVD player and I didn't have one yet.

Stayed up late one night and couldn't get the surround sound - only analog stereo. Next morning picked up an optical cable to run between the DVD player and the receiver and next thing I know I have fantastic sound filling my 16'x16'x8' family room. Star Wars I The Phantom Menace shook the house. Took a few days for the family to get used to the sound but now it's "normal". Play radio, CD's and DVD's.

Like others here - I didn't bother with the wire it came with. I used 12 ga. Carol wire from partsexpress.com. Still have alot to learn about all the settings and the remote but compltely satified with the sound!

Purchased At:   MJ Show

Submitted by ramanapj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Amazing system for less than 500 bucks. It tool a while to set up everything. Once done, it is number one.

Purchased At:   kenwood outlet

Submitted by Michael Vandor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
AMAZING home theater sound for the money! Worth many times more.

I bought this with some reluctance about "out of the box" systems to go with a new RCA 38" HDTV widescreen I bought for the bedroom. My main system in the living room is a Mitsubishi 55" Diamond HDTV Widescreen projection set tied into a Yamaha DTS capable receiver and upper end Polk speakers. I had nearly $3,000 tied up in the speakers and receiver for the main system and thought I was getting good sound - until I installed THIS system in the bedroom.

I was so overwhelmed by the home theater sound from the HTB-504 that I dumped my Yamaha receiver downstairs and replaced it with a Kenwood VR-510 receiver. I'm happy with both setups, but I swear the sound from the HTB-504 setup is cleaner and fuller.

I cannot recommend this product any more highly.

Purchased At:   etronics

Submitted by Stefan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is for the HTB-504.

This is my first venture into the "home theater" field. As such I wanted to thread lightly and get something that worked well with my newly acquired DVD player and yet wasn't going to break the bank (wife factor). Having done numerous and extensive research I chose the HTB-504 system over the Sony HTD DW830 based mainly on features. After identifying the system I wanted, the next search was for the best price. I came across MJSHOW.com out of Michigan. They are an internet only outfit. Excellent prices and terrific service with very knowledgable staff. Unit came to my door in ~1 week from time of order. Overall the unit is very easy to hook up, although I wish they identified specifically which components go where, as opposed to simply labeling them Video 1, 2, etc. Also, it was not very clear how my RCA satellite receiver should be hooked up. It took me about 3 hours to set up this system. Keep in mind this includes the disassembly of the old stereo, moving furniture, drilling holes in the floor for running the surround speaker wire through the basement and then fine tuning. The provided speaker wires never made it out of the bag, instead I used some 16 AWG wire I had from my other system. The remote is not that bad as others have made it sound to be. It can be programmed to control the other components in your set up. Once set up the unit delivers unbelievable sound from all sources but especially DVD ( I have it hooked in via optical cable). The video also is astonishing. Even some of my old VHS tapes sound great. It makes watching movies that much better. TV sounds are great especially watching football in STADIUM mode. Overall I think it's a great system that can grow with you as your needs/components change. I cannot directly compare it to anything similar but I think you definitely get a great bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   MJSHOW.com

Submitted by Paul Ramos a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Anyone who is interested in a Home Theater System, wether they are on a budget or not, should at least give this system a listen. They will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Local Retailer