JBL PROPACK600 Home Theater in a Box

3.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $999.95

8 Piece System, A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital/DTS, Logic7, VMAx and MP3 Decoding, 5 Disc DVD Changer, 6 Speaker Sub and Satellite System, 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer.

Submitted by Bentley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is on the Cinema ProPack 600II. The low price at BestBuy was a clearance price and I got the last unit in the store.

I bought this unit to upgrade my 1980's vintage stereo receiver and "towers of power" speakers. I wanted Surround Sound for a small room at an affordable price, and this system fits that bill nicely.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this system at such a low price that I couldn't turn it down! It had everything I was looking for; DVD+CD/R+MP3 player, small speakers, and BIG sound. The remote can control up to 8 devices and has the "All off" and "all on" macro built in. Some say the unit is too big, but I think it looks great. of course I had to cut out the cardboard backing from my entertainment center to fit it in there! The receiver puts out a great sound and has more than enough inputs so your system can grow. My only complaint resides in the DVD player. I didn't see the crisp picture my old Sony had and the "disk skip" feature is slow unless the button is pressed twice. It also likes to autoplay the last disk used when turned on. I can't turn that off! Overall its a great system for sound, but JBL needs to work on the video aspect now.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by nuckingfuts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I have limits...limits of space that is in my apartment, and while I am an audiophile to an extent, I just was tired of tripping over my Paradigm and PSB speakers and I wanted a multidisc DVD that would play MP3. So went with the JBL Propak 600 Mark II and am fairly pleased. Overall sound is really surprisingly good with movies and music. Receiver is quirky in that I cannot hook up my digital cablebox via S-Video to the receiver through "TV" and must use "Video 1" which limits me. Plus, I cannot stand the weak remote sensitivity on both receiver and DVD. Also very big components. Overall, ok though, certainly for the price.

Submitted by maltschul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've done extensive research on the JBL ProPack 600 and have come to find out that there are 2 models
Let me point out one HUGE difference: the 600II (next gen of the 600) plays MP3 cds and CDR, while the 600 does not. Very important to most of us out there.
Also, the 600II has a much-improved connector layout on the unit's back and has added a 6-channel input for DVD audio.
Personally, I recommend the 600II (well worth the extra $250 if you can spare it) over the refurb'd 600. I wish someone had pointed this out early in the game, as it's not immediately apparent.

Purchased At:   J+R Music World

Submitted by Tim Tellinghuisen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is no 'cheap beginner system' home theater package. The difference in sound quality, volume, and bass response between this unit and one of the cheaper sony units is like night and day. The JBL is unreal. It can go extremely loud and remain 'clean', without any distortion of the sound. The unit supports pretty much everything you would probably want. It has tons of inputs to allow you to hook up all kinds of things into the unit...including a front mounted set. This unit is literally capable of shaking the windows of my house with the bass reponse. It actaully makes you feel like you are in the movie. I have seen movies at friends houses on other systems (low end sony, panasonic, JVC, and BOSE) and they don't seem to compare to the JBL. Check the types and numbers of inputs, the speaker sizes and wattage, and the amplifier output of this unit compared to the competition...this is not your 'average' home system. It has some problems...see below. Overall, I'm happy with the unit and would buy it again.

Purchased At:   bestbuy