Infinity Systems Infinity Modulus System Home Theater in a Box

3.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1149.00

The Infinity Modulus Home-Theater System is a compact, efficient satellite, center-channel and subwoofer system that is ideal for reproducing home-theater sound.

Submitted by John Arthur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am driving this system with a Niles 1260 amplifier and a Sunfire Grand Cinema Preamplifer Processor. I have had this modulus system for many years. The satellite speakers sound incredible with music which is what I listen to 99% of the time with my system, but the subwoofer is not musical at all. If you are into movies, I'm sure you will be more than pleased with the subwoofer, because you are into the explosions and special effect sounds. As a person who is into music, I want a subwoofer that is tight and clean. I want those musical base notes to be distinctive. I was satisfied with the systems subwoofer until I heard a really musical subwoofer (The M & K 105). I became really dissapointed in my modulus subwoofer after that because I realised what I had been missing. Because I don't consider this subwoofer to be very musical, I would recommend this system only for movie enthusiast, but not for audiophiles.
I have recently seen some great deals on ebay in the $250 - $350 for this system. It is well worth that price if you can get it for that price. You might want to buy just the satellite and center speakers, and get a seperate really musical subwooferwhich will take care of your music and your movies at the same time. That would give you a really great system.

Submitted by saulo.bonizzato a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
After a couple of years, Rubber cover that surrounds ball joint ball on surround speaker mounts is VERY fragile and they are responsible for fixing it in the right position (standing up) lost the rigid mode and the speakers have felt down. NO replacement available in the marke since the plastic is part of the speakers. All of them (4) presented the same problem in a range of 1 year (after the second year of purchase). I lost my money. I have sent emails but no answers. Run out from Infinity. Their products are not serious.

Submitted by joshthorne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
AWESOME PRODUCT!!!! Hooked it up to play the audio from my XBOX and it blew me away. The best system ever for movie watching or gaming.

Submitted by Shannon Hardin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I started looking for components to set up a budget home theater system a little over a year ago. A little research led me to the incredibly-valued Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver, so all that was left was to pick out a speaker package to go with it.

I made the rounds of the local electronics stores, listening to several setups, including the various Bose systems. Quite a few of them sounded great in the store, but subsequent searches for online reviews revealed a large amount of consumer dissatisfaction. Looking around online for more systems that matched my budget, I stumbled across a review the Infinity Modulus package.

I found a couple more reviews that essentially said it was a good value, and a great sounding system. I went ahead and purchased one online, and installed it the following weekend.

After one year of use, I can say that I am absolutely ecstatic about my choice. I can't believe I lucked out and stumbled across these speakers, they are absolutely amazing for a budget home theater setup. The center speaker reproduces dialog crisply and cleanly, the satellites handle surround sound chores admirably, and when properly tuned using the included R.A.B.O.S kit, the subwoofer (which I originally feared might be too small) fills the entire room with great low-end punch, but is not too overwhelming. The audio experience while watching modern DVDs is better-than-theater, and the system sounds great on regular TV and VHS sound sources.

The only real weakness the system has is in music reproduction. The satellites simply can't reproduce all the frequencies properly, which is to be expected due to their size. If you're not a hardcore music person, you probably won't notice. Otherwise, you'll want to augment the Modulus system with some larger main speakers that can be turned on and off via your receiver, so that you can switch to those speakers for music.

I'll describe my setup, so that you can decide how closely your own situation is to mine. My home theater is actually my living room. It is a rectangular shape, with a back that is open to another room, and a small bump out in the rear left corner for the basement door. It's about 12 feet wide, 8 feet high, and 20 feet long; the subwoofer, front satellites, center channel, and television are all up front in the closed end. The rear satellites are mounted on the walls back towards the open end, slightly behind our sitting positions, and have their cabling run through the walls internally. As stated before, the reciever (which makes a difference, a garbage receiver will make your speakers sound like garbage) is a Yamaha RX-V1200.

In summary, these speakers were a great choice for me. I have several friends with full dedicated home theaters, with equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars. In the area of audio, none of them has an advantage over my system that is discernable by 99% of people, despite the extra expense.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by vandemusser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
As I built my new home theater in the living room, I wanted to take great care in hiding the fact that the HT system was even in the room - the great problem with combining social and media-based activities. Hiding the AV eqipment was fairly simple, but the speakers were a major source of frustration for me. Nobody really makes a truly beautiful, high-quality speaker - or so I thought. The Infinity Modulus system truly looks like a piece of art. While everybody else is still making boxes, these things are like sculptures. I chose the platinum version (to match my Sony XBR TV). They're quite small, but unbelievably heavy (always a good sign). Excellent sound reproduction considering the size, and the subwoofer is much more powerful than I thought it would be. Did I mention how beautiful they are? This is probably not the system for pure gear-heads. You can get boxy speakers with similar quality (which is very, very good) for a little less money. If you are looking for that balance of substance and style, though, this is a rock-solid choice.

Purchased At:   Nebraska Furniture M