Bose Lifestyle 28 DVD Home Theater System Home Theater in a Box

3.07/5 (30 Reviews)

The Bose Lifestyle 28 system offers a sleek solution to all of your home theater needs; the only other component you have to add is a TV! The sound of this system's five tiny speaker arrays and hideaway Acoustimass bass module will amaze you, filling your room with deep, rich Bose sound. New technology in the bass module delivers impressive clarity at the lowest frequencies, even at the loudest listening levels, and automatic tonal adjustment ensures the right amount of bass when switching between movies and music.

Submitted by LeeG a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
"Sell the sizzle, not the steak."
I purchased a Lifestyle 25 system. 1 Center plus 4 surround double-tweeters w/subwoofer and CD changer/main unit. Had it professionally installed.
This unit took us away from being music listeners.
The base is huge, much harder to hide than you would ever imagine.
The CD changer is total garbage. It's been in the repair shop 90% of the time that I own it. On the rare occasion that it works the mechanism is so loud it is distracting. The treble and base are only adjustable from the subwoofer, not by remote control. There is no balance or fade adjustment.
The soundstage is next to nothing.
We have been miserable with this unit since the day we turned it on. We've discussed this with other Bose customers and have read about their newer products and have found them to be equally unhappy. I wouldn't go near this company again.

Purchased At:   Bose, Palm Beach, Fl

Submitted by kris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
If you are a casual listener like me then trust my word and go get this. Nothing can come close in terms of size, style, performance and brand recognition. The only problem here seems to be the price. If it were available for $1000 then nobody would complain, only because it is expensive that people tend to have a polarized opinion. I considered Denon receiver, Paradigm speakers and other options but for my purpose of movies and some TV it did not make a difference. The bass was enough for what I was watching, I have stereo speakers that provide more thumping bass but the music is not as sweet as the bose. Reading DVDs is a general problem across all top brand DVD players, Sony would not play some DVDs while a low end Coby or Zenith would play anything you put in. Maybe bose will rectify it soon.

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Best Buy with $150 G

Submitted by Kris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this product after debating and experiencing various options including a Denon Receiver and Paradigm speakers. If size, style, convenience are important and you are a casual listener like most out there and not a AudioPhile then you will not notice any difference and in fact you will love the Bose more than the other setups. I have a friend that bought a Bose and complained about low bass but did not change the default bass setting, since it can be done only on screen and there is no seperate control or knob for bass and treble control. Most people do not like it and hate it because of the price, if it was available for $1000 or less then it is no longer a problem. As someone pointed out if Bose was using low cost parts and is selling just by marketing it would have gone out of business in no time. Bose has a brand value and they are cashing on it. No matter what, Bose is more recognizable for a common person than any other brand out there and they charge for it. So if you have the money just buy it.

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by abrew101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bose sound life-like, if you like the regular stereo sounds Bose LS S III is no for you.
I compared the bose with other top rate system (sony, denon, monitor audio speaker, yamaha, onkyo) and belive me for my ears bose sound better.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Compusa

Submitted by ramesh a

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
I love my LS28 when it is working that is. It does not play many of the original DVDs which play on my other home devices. Does anyone know if there is a Bose firmware upgrade available to fix this problem?

Bose reminds me of my old Mercedez - great when it run.

ramesh