Zenith DVC2550 DVD Players

3.42/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

5 DVD/CD changer

Submitted by JChase a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
In the begining, I was quite impresed with the quality of the picture. Unfortunatly, after about a year, some of my DVDs started to skip. Now, 2 1/2 years later, almost all of them skip and some ar unplayable. Even new DVDs right out of the box would play "choppy". I have tried using a cleaner on the machine, but it only helped a little. I was also disapointed that I could not play CD-Rs and MP3s.

Submitted by Maxwell200 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This DVD has a great picture and losts of nice features. That is when it works. I do not watch that many DVDs so I have not used this all that much and yet it has broken twice so far. It seems to be the same problem also. I took it to Circuit City and they replaced the part less than 2 months after I bought it. But here it is a again doing the same thing. I have a Thorens MKII that still spins a McIntosh 240 that still plays and a Superphon Revelation that still works. To top that I also have a Techincs CD player that I bought 7 years ago that still plays CDs . So for this thing to stop spinning discs twice with in two years and I would say 60 DVDs is weak at best. Would not recommend to a friend.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by shang a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
overall good dvd player. No whims about that. This player is capable of mp3. If you take a flashlight and shine it at the lcd screen you will see it says: mp3, vcd, hd, dvd, and A for audio. do not know what the hd stands for.

From prev reading on another site there is supposed to be a crack to unlock the mp3 and vcd feature. but have not found it yet.

Purchased At:   sams

Submitted by Eric a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this player on a whim when I saw the price. My old Aiwa CD player was on its way out, and I was eager to make the jump to DVDs on my Sony Wega TV. I also wanted a changer to replace the old single-disc Aiwa.

The picture quality is excellent--no surprise since most DVD players will show a huge improvement over VHS. The remote layout seems relatively intuitive (better than most) and it has no problems controlling my Sony TV and Zenith VCR. The variable FF and Rew (up to 100x!) are neat and easy to use with the remote dial.

It has had skipping problems an two rented DVDs, but I think that's likely a problem with the disc rather than the unit. I never had problems with music CDs.

The main drawback for me is the inability to play CDRs. I didn't even think to look at that feature, since even my oldest CD players will play them. Apparently, many DVD players lack this feature, and a few even warn that they will overwrite CDR disks (something about the type of laser used).

I've been very satisfied with this player, but I simply cannot live without CDRs in my home theater. There are a handful of changers that support CDR (even less that also do MP3 as well), so I'm looking to upgrade. The Zenith DVD5201 is high on my list, partly because of my good experience with this DVC2550.

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Submitted by Richard Neff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
For $175 at Sam's, it's hard to imagine getting a decent DVD changer as good as this machine. I've yet to have any major problems with this machine. The fact that the remote, in my opinion is well designed and fully featured only adds to my impression of the system. (Although each individual tends to have strong personal opinions of how a remote *should* be laid out, so it's always a good idea to tinker with one at the store if possible!)

The only major drawback to the changer is simply that it isn't a progressive scan player, which would be nice for my Toshiba wide-screen HDTV set. However, for the price, it's certainly wasn't expected. The optical output is nice however for those that have a receiver with an optical input. A minor drawback is that it doesn't have a motion screen saver, but since it will auto power-off, this shouldn't be a major problem for most people. And for those that want to play MP3 disks on their system, you'll want to look elsewhere.

But, for a DVD changer, this is an excellent system at a very good price!

Purchased At:   Sam's Club