Yamaha DVD-S795 DVD Players

3.88/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Submitted by Joseph Buhagiar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have had the Yamaha S795 since year 1999/2000 - it is hooked to a Yamaha DSP-A2 - an excellent combination for may reasons since the two hand shake and change the many picture and sound combinations available automatically although you can adjust manually. However I mainly use the DSP setup for watching / hearing DVD films in surround. To me the DSP A2 is excellent for Digital Dolby 5.1 and especially DSP but no use to me for stereo.

More recently, I read a review about the sound quality of this S795 - connected it to a Grundig ZV 7500 Pre-amp, a Grundig Amp that can deliver 55RMS X 2 with guaranteed measured distortion (includinh intermodulation distortion) of less than .02 at 40HZ at iKHz and 22KHZ and I could not beieve it was so good at playing stereo and I have some very good dedicated CD Players. Using my 4 way canton floor stananding speakers which have 2 x 10 inch base units too, you would not need to change anything. Just leave the pre-amp at its default settings, loundness off too, and it jsut reproduces everything with the crisp and sound stage dimention that you would expect off a good player.

But like many said, whenever it likes, it just fails to load Original CDs ( I never tried copies.) Then I sometimes open and load same disc two or three times and finally it loads.

It is a pity that it does this. Rental DVD's are unpredicable too and disappointed my wife many times after she hired them and keen to come home and see them.

But Original DVD with the correct region, never failed to load.Never!!

So if anyone wants to Hear Elton John on DVD or Zuchero and many more DVD Music, it is a really good choice since its musicality and clarity is second to none in its class.

So if you want it for Origial DVD - Yes I recommend it.
Just keep a good CD Playaer next to it - since 1 out 50 sometimes it fails to laid a CD.

Joe

Submitted by Julian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
After 2 years of usage it stopped playing rented dvd´s, maybe the laser unit. the player at least is NOT a YAMAHA, inside it is a panasonic... the comparable model is about 200 euros cheaper, and maybe more reliable.

Purchased At:   media markt germany

Submitted by Bogdan Manescu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, after reading the posted reviews I must make my comment too.

This DVD-player is real crap regarding their laser-unit.

I can play all DVD's on my IBM Thinkpad 600X, model year 1999 but my YAMAHA S795 refuses to read some of them.

To pay 500 EUR for a hi-end product and the basic function of reading DVD's doesn't work is ....

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Profis Darmsta

Submitted by MasterGoa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bad news. I bought this unit new with a 24 month
warrenty. After 27 months, the unit will no
longuer read DVD's.

Yamaha will NOT repair the unit.

Furthermore, they charge 320$ for a lazer pick-up
while a Panasonic DVD player for a computer is 65$.

I am sad :(

Submitted by EXtor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This DVD player hast the best visual and audio quality, avaible at the next generation DVD player market !. In terms of both picture quality delivered to an analog set and sound quality produced (in either DVD or CD mode), I find that the S795 considerably more than meets my expectations. Overall, I can honestly say that I feel that this is the best unit for the best price.

Purchased At:   Desibelius