Yamaha DVD S1200 DVD Players

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Yamaha's DVD-S1200 DVD player does it all. It plays DVD-Audio discs as well as DVD-Video, CDs and VCDs. The DVD-S1200 can also playback CD-R/RW discs, DVD-RAM discs, and features interlaced and progressive scan video output.

Cinema Image recognizes a movie and softens the brightness for better viewing on coventional direct view TVs. It also improves the visibility of dark scenes and reduces picture noise.

The DVD-S1200 provides multiple audio outputs, including a 5.1-channel analog output, a two-channel analog output, and two digital outputs - one optical and one coaxial.

Seamlessly changes the aspect ratio so that conventional and widescreen videos can be seen to their best advantage.

The DVD-S1200 provides Virtual Surround, yielding a convincing surround experience through only two speakers. It also incorporates Yamaha's VSS, providing a surround experience using conventional stereo headphones.

Submitted by JW a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This dvd player does a great job for both progressive video and audio.

Submitted by i_like_scotland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I´am verry positive about this product, it has a good picture quality, and the DVD-A sound quality is great. I have bought this dvd-player in the Netherlands(Europe).

Submitted by MiloDC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the fourth DVD player (excluding my PC DVD-ROM) that I've bought in about two years, and it has the best picture and audio quality of the four (the others were Sony, Pioneer, and Toshiba models). I'm using my S1200 with a Toshiba 50HP81 plasma display, a Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver, and an enhanced M&K 750 THX 6.1 speaker set-up.

Like all of the Yamaha Natural Sound hardware that I've auditioned (I own three such units), the sound quality of the S1200 is excellent. DVD Audio and DVD Video discs play with pristine clarity and warmth. A friend of mine listened to "Never Going Back Again" off the Fleetwood Mac _Rumours_ DVD-A, and he thought that I was processing the sound through my receiver to make it sound live (Yamaha's Natural Sound products are typically that good). Sound separation and definition was a little better than that of my Toshiba SD-4800, and a lot better than my Pioneer DV-444.

Another thing that I find particularly nice about this unit is its onscreen set-up interface. Audio and (especially) video set-up is very versatile and controllable, right down to a nitpicker's details, like separate sharpness controls for horizontal and vertical resolution, and three different digital processing settings for the reduction of picture granularity.

Furthermore, unlike all of my other DVD players, this one is plasma display-friendly, with black level settings and a default picture quality that doesn't require me to crank my display's brightness and black extension way down or way up.

Lastly, it played the DVD-R's and DVD-RW's that I put into it with no apparent problem, even though the manual states that it doesn't like DVD-R's, and that it flat-out won't play DVD-RW's.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys, La Jo

Submitted by aaron smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this unit but it sometimes has problems reading scratched dvd discs from rental stores. My pioneer dvd-rom player in my computer plays scratched rental dvd's fine. The audio and picture is great. The remote on the other hand is lousy!!! My only complaint really, is the remote!!! It is built for some tiny child for Romper Room Play-school. One would think,for a $ 1,000 player it should come with a nice chrome plated remote with a nice button layout and it should be comfortable in your hand, it most definately isn't!!! Did Yamaha even think on this???
My suspicion is that this s1200 is a Panasonic model with a cheap-ass remote. Panasonic makes good dvd players but with real lousy remotes.

Purchased At:   shelley's stereo

Submitted by Rafael Adames a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Picture quality excellent.The progressive scan mode gives the movie "a new life".I would reccomend this player to any movie and audio buff.

Purchased At:   Tweeter