Yamaha DVC-6480
Description: DTS and Dolby Digital Decoder Plays DVD Audio, DVD Video, VCD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 Intelligent Progressive Video Output, Progressive Component Video Outputs Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs S-Video, Composite Video Outputs, 6-Channel Discrete Audio Outputs DCDi by Faroudja Processing Burr-Brown 192kHz, 24-Bit Audio D/A Conversion Remote Control Yamaha Patented PlayXchange Dual Laser Optical Pickup Mixed 2-Channel Output Large Disc Stablizer Shockproof Memory Cinema Image Cinema Dialogue

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
My current system:
Acurus ACT-3 pr/pro
Yamaha DVC-6480 DVD changer
Chiro C-500 5 channel amp
Spica TC-50 main speakers
Infinity SSW-210 subwoofer
Wiring is Kimber and some D-I-Y stuff

I have been upgrading my system over the last year and decided to move up from Panasonic A-120u since it would not play cd-r's. The Panasonic is a good player with a slightly dark picture, The Yamaha is much better, and even has controls for brightness, contrast and color, but it seems to have a hard time with layer changes. Not a big deal. I have been using the DAC's in my Acurus ACT-3 preamp and after listening to the Yamaha's DACS I will continue to use the acurus, however the sound quality is very good using analog outs on the Yamaha. It has a smooth character with a decent soundstage, but the acurus is more dynamic. Oddly enough even using the Yamaha's coaxial out sounds better than the panasonic's. Why this happened is a mystery to me since I thought a digital out is a digital out, but there is clearly better resolution and better bass control than the panasonic. The remote control really sucks. I didn't think this would bother me, but it is really annoying trying to find the right buttons when the lights are out. Another thing that bugs me is no CD text or MP3 text. With 160 songs on an MP3 cd it can be a real drag to find the song you want. Even with it's weaknesses the build quality is superb, picture is excellent, and the sound quality is very good. All this for 200 bucks! I feel like I stole it.

Purchased At:   Fry's electronics

Submitted by zhengliu a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Top quality product for the money I paid.
Top quality sound and picture. I am really
glad I got one.

Submitted by Nobi506 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Yamaha Dv-C6480 What A great DVD video And audio player,I was having problems getting a great sound out of my phase tech speakers when I listen to them at the audio store the sound stage was geat great detail with music and movies but I was not getting the same sound at home I told the sale man that I was using Denon 3801 rcvr so I bought the Yamaha and I tell you what a great Picture and the sound using the anolog out put was great those bur-Brown chips are great what a difference this player makes well built looks great,it replaced my old toshiba sd-5109 Also a good player But nothing Like the Yamaha........NN

Purchased At:   ABT

Submitted by ocean1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I shopped everywhere listened and watched so many differnt DVD players that it was a blur. I went to one last store FRYS and went to the home audio guy and said I want the best all around DVD player what is it..He went right over to this player and said here and its on sale...I was shocked at the price I looked at others for twice the price by Denon and such. He said listen and watch. WOW it was awesome looked great and well built picture SUPERB and then he put in DVD audio disc I herd others and SACD this one sounded as good even better sometimes using the same Natalie Merchant DVD A disc. I also loved that I could switch disc while it plays. It just does sooo much and its got that new DCDI chip that used to cost thousands and on VERY few expensive DVD players and this burr down wow. I by pass my Denon 3803 1200.00 rec. when listening to music the DVD player does it awesome. PLUS BASS managment!! not found on most of the 1000.00 players I saw.

Purchased At:   FRYS

Submitted by h1pst3r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I whole-heartedly agree with all the previous comments...this is a wonderful DVD-A/V changer that has a few features that clearly set it apart from the entire field based on the research I did before purchase.

The 6480 is a mystery though as to why no trade press has reviewed it or why it isn't THE changer to get right now. Here are the specifics:

VIDEO: Faroudja DCDi for 3:2 pulldown and amazing film-like progressive output. I use the component-out into my 32" WEGA and it is beautiful. DTS and DD decoders built in along with 192khz Burr-Brown DACs for AMAZING sound. The bandwidth is 54mhz/10bit for video and is stellar for not paying $1500.

AUDIO: The single best player I've ever heard. Whether it's a DD soundtrack, a 5.1 channel DVD-A or a CD out of my collection, no sound has ever come off a disk like this before. Three words for why this gear is amazing: BURR-BROWN DECODERS.

While I have a $1000 HK receiver with wonderful 192khz DACs on every channel, even they are out-detailed by the spaciousness and texture of the Burr-Brown decoders. This is wonderful sound.

I am now listening to all of my music through the 6 channel analog outs of the Yammie and bypassing my very expensive reciever except for amplification. It can also decode Mp3, which again through the Burr-browns, sounds like HDCD. Give a listen through some good speakers and you will be smiling.

BUILD and UI: This is how all DVD players should be built. It's a tank. The unit weighs about 15pounds and the changer door opens slowly and confidently. Completely unlike the CD players we all used to have: the size of a component and the weight of a roll of paper towels...not this Yammie. Multiple i/o in the back, and PlayXchange which lets you swap out a disk while another is playing. Also, the disk mechanism is VERY quite...the noise of which can be a big pain with previous dvd players

The remote isn't the greatest, but I've programmed everything into my Sony Commander so cya.

Wonderful gear at any price, but at $399 it's simply the best player on the market.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield