Toshiba SD2715 DVD Players

2.58/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $299.99

- X2 Playback.
- Slow Motion, Forward and Reverse.
- Parental Lock.
- Time Search.
- Icon-Based On-Screen Displays.
- Camera Angle Select.
- Front Panel Operation.
- Bookmarking.

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought two svhs Toshiba vcrs. They seemed to work pretty good so I thought I would get a DVD with mp3 capabitily to match them. It lasted 1 year just past the warranty, and died. It worked real well, for a year. Next time I'll just get a $99 unit fronm Wal-Mart.

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by JoeLeTaxi a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a DVD player and also wanted to replace my older six disc Pioneer CD changer bought in 1987. I owned a Toshiba television that I bought in 1989 that had a great picture and traveled well (still running six plus hours/day at my parents' house now) - very durable and reliable, so looked at Toshiba and a couple of other brands. This player advertised a lot of features at a decent price, so I bought it. The picture quality and sound are very good, and I'm pleased with the quality of the output - but the thing is so slow that it is torture to use. Don't think of swapping CDs at a party - it is so slow you'll need to make compilations of party discs in advance.
The cabinet is ultra cheap-o. It feels tinny to the touch. I slid mine into my cabinet, and the cheap foam feet on the corners crumbled and peeled right off from the bottom of the cabinet!
The size is huge! This is part of being a carousel I suppose, but it is much deeper and wider than any of my other components. It hangs out the back of my stereo cabinet.
I haven't replaced it, but I won't pay to have this thing fixed if it ever needs service.
When playing music, it doesn't automatically advance to the next disc.

Purchased At:   One Call

Submitted by akepa a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
My 10-year-old Sony multidisc CD-changer was starting to show signs of senility so I decided to replace it with this DVD changer. So far I'm very happy with it. Audio and video quality are excellent. The zoom function is very handy for watching widescreen movies on my puny 20-inch TV. Ability to play MP3's is a great bonus, although they won't play in random order.

It's no speed demon, but my unit doesn't seem that slow in loading discs (a common complaint in other reviews here) - it loads DVD's and regular CD's in about 3-5 seconds. It takes 10-15 seconds to load a CD-R containing several hundred songs, but this seems like a reasonable delay before playing 10+ hours of music.

This unit will play audio CD's semi-randomly across all 5 discs: it will play 2 random songs from 1 CD, then another 2 random songs from another CD, and son.

The build quality doesn't seem that great: the carousel is noisy and some of the buttons are very small and feel flimsy.

Overall I think it's a great DVD changer with lots of functionality for the price.

Purchased At:   Ebay/ReturnBuy

Submitted by Scot a

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the Toshiba SD3755 which is not listed yet. This is the first Toshiba product I've purchased. It is also the last. The unit was not DOA, but it might as well have been as the disc tray malfunctioned after no more than 5 minutes. During the brief time the tray would actually open and close, it failed to recognize any discs.

This unit might have been damaged during shipping, but there was no indication on the box that it had seen rough handling. I'm not taking any chances. This dud is going back to Ubid, and Toshiba won't get any more of my business.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Dong Liu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Other than dropping dead in 8 months, this toshiba provides top rate picture, zoom feature, and 5 disc capacity.
First the merits. The image quality is very good. The zoom feature is great for my 20 inch TV. The 5 disc capacity reduces the chance of scratching DVDs.
The problem is that it developed problem 8 months after use. It will work fine for the first 10 minutes. Then it will skip a little and freeze. If I change disk, it will not read that disk and display the message "disc error."
Since I bought it at CostCo for $205, I returned it today for $180, as this model is now selling for $180. I am very happy at CostCo, but very skeptical about Toshiba. My previous Toshiba SD2109 also developed motor problem after two years. I am thinking of buying JVC from CostCo, since I need zoom and carousal.
My Toshiba SD2715 is made in Korea. Is this actual a Samsung or Daewoo? I generally do not have trust in the reliability of electronics made in Korea, even though I am convinced that the performance may be top rate.

Purchased At:   CostCo