Toshiba SD2700 DVD Players

4.17/5 (54 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

· 10-bit 27mHz Video D/A Conversion with High Resolution Filter · ColorStream® Component Video Outputs · Enhanced Picture Modes · Horizontal Resolution: 500 Lines

Submitted by normyw a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm pleased with the player. Sound and picture are excellent. The only problem I've had is occasional picture freezing, and I've discovered it is either one of two things; improper memory refresh, which requires a reboot or food on the dvd (too many young kids). Neither problem has been unsurmoutable.

Purchased At:   Audio Centre

Submitted by Scott F a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Unit worked perfectly fine for about 15 months -- great picture, no problems -- then the power supply died. I was considering getting it fixed, until I read the reviews here and realized it was a pointless exercise, considering how cheap these players are now.

Submitted by Skifreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my earlier review. In short, the performance of this unit is excellent for the money, when it works. For the second time within ten months the power supply has failed. The first time it cost me 65 dollars for the labor as the part was covered under warranty. This time I am going to shop for a product other than Toshiba. Based on similar experiences expressed by other reviewers, I would advise anyone to avoid buying this DVD player.

Purchased At:   Bluegrass Home Enter

Submitted by David Curtis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This warranty from Toshiba runs only 1 year. Because this unit has a design defect, the power supply diode fails. I was very dissapointed to learn that I had to have it repaired withing the warranty period. I have friends who also bought this unit and the same issue about the unit dying. What happens is that the unit simply looses power. A quick check inside reveals that the fuse is burned. Replacing the fuse does not help because the power supply is fried because of a bad diode. I keep all my electronic equipment surge protected and most of it runs via a battery. This is a unit that I can not recommend. Buy the 2800 it does not have this problem

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Aaron Snyder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this product for close to a year now. Up until recently, it had performed perfectly. As an owner of the previous series, 2200 DVD player, I thought how can I go wrong, the 2200 was great. The 2700 had all the connections you'd need, DTS, stylish as well. Then at 11 months, the power didn't go on, seems simple enough to repair, WRONG!!! From what I have researched on this and other 700 series DVD players, watch it!!! It is a hit or miss big time. It has been 6 weeks and still nothing about when 1 little diode will be replaced. The place I purchased the unit, lets say, a high level audio store didn't want to help. There first question to me when I brought it back was, "Did you purchase a warranty?" Give me a break, it broke under warranty! They said I had to take it to an authorized Toshiba dealer.. HELLO!!! That is why I bought it at this "Audio Store." You know, that you should buy from them and not a "Best Buy" So they sent me to an authorized dealer, Boscov's. Let's say that this authorized dealer isn't representing Toshiba well. With this kind of service, they will be like K mart soon. Toshiba has great customer service and have been helpful to a point, Boscov's, the local dealer.. questionable at best.. My recommendation is purchase the 2800 series. This problem with the power shortage has supposedly been resolved.. If I had no problems getting this fixed, it would've received a 4 star overall rating, considering the price and level of performance.

Purchased At:   Tweeter.com