Toshiba SD2150 DVD Players

4.1/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

· ColorStream® Component Video Output · 10-bit 27MHz Video DAC with High-Resoution Filter · 540 Lines Horizontal Resolution · Parallel Video Output · Dolby® Digital and DTS® Compatible Digital Output · One Pair of Analog Audio Outputs · Spatializer® N-2-2™ Virtual Surround Sound · Parallel Audio Output

Submitted by Mike G a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Review is for model 2050, which appears nearly identical to the 2150. Has been reliable and easy-to-use. Dual disc tray feature not used very much. My big problem is the sound output, which is really weak. We need to turn the speakers up at least 50 percent higher than with our VCR or straight TV to hear a DVD, to the point where speaker hiss is apparent. I wish manufacturers would post the sound signal specs on the box, so I could a better informed buy next time.
Some DVDs, such as the Monty Python's Holy Grail Special Edition, will not run on this unit - the subtitles keep turning on for no apparent reason and it's impossible to turn them off.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Audio Monkey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
out of all my components, this is the one that I am the most impressed with. it's the only one I haven't upgraded, and don't want to unless I get progressive, but don't have the TV for that. I love Toshiba, always have, good quality unit. I have played hundreds, literally hundreds of movies on it, and I have never had a problem with it, ever. I highly reccomend this as well as any other Toshiba product.

Purchased At:   Sound Surround

Submitted by Tim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this player. Of Course it is my first DVD player so I can't really write a valid review for enthusiasts. But to the first time buyers? It's a great price as you see from the one guy $150!!!! How can you go wrong, it's a TOSHIBA

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by J M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Been super quiet, rather dead in here! Any more reviews on the SD2150???

Submitted by Michael Kaplan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Terrible product design and/or quality control. The laser pickup died in the first 60 days and was replaced. The REPLACEMENT died 60 days later, at which point the unit was out of warranty. When I insert the disc, I hear a faint clicking sound as the disc attempts to load. After a few seconds, I receive the dreaded "Disc Error" message. Once I get this message, I can still watch one or two more discs, but that's it! Poof! The "official" service center wants $110 in labor charges to repair this $150 unit -- and considering how well the first repair held up, I'm not sure it's worth it. In all, I've probably watched fewer than 30 movies in four months, which doesn't make this a very good value at all. This unit was highly reviewed on several Internet boards like this. Now I wonder who to believe.

Purchased At:   ubid.com