Toshiba SD-9100 DVD Players

4.64/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Single disc DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit/27MHz video DAC - 24-bit/96kHz audio DACs - ColorStream Pro™ (480p) component video output - S-video and composite video output - Coaxial digital audio output

Submitted by Dub a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted to purchase a progressive scan DVD player so I would be ready for when I purchased a TV that was compatible with progressive scan. So right now I'm using a Toshiba Cinema Series 35" Tube that does NOT have progressive scan input. Even without the progressive scan, this DVD player has the best picture I have ever seen. I used to have the Pioneer 525 DVD player. It was a great unit. Especially for the money. However, there is no comparison with the Toshiba. The picture is clearer, sharper, more refined looking - just better looking all the way around. For those that think a DVD player is just a DVD player - think again! I see a HUGE difference between these two units. And I loved my Pioneer. I can't wait to see what this will look like using progressive scan! 5 stars for Overall Rating, 4 stars for Value - because it's $2000 new.

Purchased At:   Purchased Used

Submitted by Chadwick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Extensive Video and Audio Results can be sent to you in a PDF format if requested.

Bottom line: DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT FROM ONECALL.

They are overpriced on this unit, and charge everybody a different price. They are unfair, and use a Bait and Switch Method to try and lure you into another product.

If you need assitance on where to purchase, drop me an email. I will always help the guys like me out, the Audio Files.

Good Luck,

Senior Electrical Engineer - Toshiba Sales

Purchased At:   Emplotee Purchase Program

Submitted by Niggas in the Hood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
John of Kansas, **** you! U're white ***** aren't ya? Go back home and play ur ***** country music foo! This DVD playa rocks!

Submitted by James Polk a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
When combined with my TW65X81: this unit allows me to see the whiskers on faces; the eye lines on faces that aren't in close-up; I cannot see scanlines like I could with my fairly new Hitachi RPTV.

I did a comparison with these two units right next to my prior units (Hitachi Ultravision and Pioneer Elite DVL-90 DVD player) with the same movie playing in both DVD's -- almost synced exactly, and the difference was literally night and day.

The Priest in '5th Element' had whiskers with the Toshiba combo, where I merely saw a gray shaded face with the old units. Freezeframes look like crystal clear JPEG's with the Toshiba's.

Doing the same syncing with 'Stargate' -- I saw sand grains with the Toshiba's, but only blond color with the older units (that I thought were top of the line).

My Elite is in the bedroom on an Interlaced screen now... and the Hitachi is at the in-laws... who are enjoying it.

The price is steep! But I found it brand new and 1/2 off on the 'Net. VERY much worth that price. Also read where Home Theater Mag a few months ago compared the Toshiba's to Runco's setup -- and they (claim) the Toshiba looked better. I haven't gone to this extreme, as I can't afford the Runco's... but to even hint that there was a comparison to arguably the Best in the Business is worthy of me plucking down significantly less money and enjoying these two units EVERY TIME I TURN THEM ON!!!

I have to admit, when I bought the Hitachi in 97, I looked at Toshiba, and was very much underwhelmed with their offerings. It took a lot to pay this much for their tainted image (in my mind). The TW65X81 has only "controls" problems (too many commands to make the unit do what I believe are simple tasks I did all the time with the Hitachi). But the outcome (picture) is not comparable. I haven't found a flaw in any part of the SD9100; not even a hint of one.

I do understand having both is a key thing -- I wanted to replace both my units for this combination and it's paying off for me in spades!

Purchased At:   PrimeFocus

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have recently remodeled my master bedroom and added a home theater system there. I have a new Panasonic CT-WX50 16:9 HDTV monitor, Denon 4800 A/V receiver, etc. and most importantly, a Toshiba 9100 Progressive Scan DVD player. What a beautiful picture. I looked at all the "high end" DVD's, including the Denon 5000 (over $2000 list and NOT progressive scan) and the Panasonic 1000 progressive scan (an excellent machine but overpriced). I bought the Toshiba from Onecall.com along with component and optical Audioquest connecting cables. They sold me the 9100 for $953! The best money I've spent in a long time. Talk about value. My wife, who is not into this stuff, can't believe the picture quality. If you have a TV that accepts progressive 480p, this is the DVD player for you. If you don't have the right TV, progressive scan will not work. Watching a movie on this DVD player is truly a thrilling experience.