Toshiba SD-3205 DVD Players

3.03/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

5 disc DVD/CD changer

Submitted by reganlsu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Another victim of the 'insert disk error'; at least I received near 3 years of service. CDs or DVDs will not recognize. Clean machine, but must be heated/ defective main board cables after x use. Don't buy Toshiba.

Purchased At:   Home Theatre Store

Submitted by Rick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had problems with my DVD player recognizing discs. Thought my son was doing something wrong because every time he tried to use it he said it didn't work. But when I tried, it worked fine. Then... it finally stopped working for me. It wouldn't stop loading or would say insert disc, or would try to load a disc when one was already loaded.

It cost me so much and I bragged about it so much to my wife when I bought it, I don't have the heart to tell her I apparently bought a piece of junk.

I went out and bought a $79 replacement, but it doesn't have the picture or sound I had become used to. Now I have a nice paper weight. Thanks to the reviews I just read, I will open the thing up and see what I can see that may make this thing work for a few months.

Purchased At:   Air Force Base Excha

Submitted by Reid a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Same problems as others with "insert disk" errors and disk loading. Based on my experience and the reviews I've read, I think this player was released for production before the operating software was debugged and before any significant reliability testing was performed. There is no point in buying products from a company that operates in this mode. Unless someone can point to some remedy offered by Toshiba, this device will be my last Toshiba purchase.

DETAILS: Bought the unit new, based on reports that it was a good machine with many features. We left it in the box for over a year until we had finished shuffling stuff around the house. Early on, we discovered that the machine was not smart enough to lock out an attempted load of a 6th disk (closing the changer drawer with 5 disks loaded when there is still a disk in the reader). I had to partially disassemble the machine twice to retrieve loose disks. After about 15 months of light use (<20 DVDs, 100-150 hrs of CDs), the "insert disk" error appeared. I disassembled the player again and discovered that a CD or DVD would spin up in the player mechanism, but apparently the player could not read the data. -- The disks were quickly rejected. I removed all the circuit cards to be able to clean the player optics with lens paper. When reinstalling the circuit cards, I took care to clean and carefully reinsert the many tiny ribbon cables into their connectors. The player immediately was healed -- for about 15 more hours. "Insert disk" then reappeared and I have yet to try another repair. I suspect that the ribbon cable connection to the player mechanism has an open conductor: Many of the ribbon cables in my unit have very sharp right-angle bends, which would weaken and likely break some of the conductors.

Purchased At:   Video Only

Submitted by Kendra a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to add my two cents - received this as a gift which my husband specifically asked for because of the Consumer Reports rating. Just over 2 years old and we're now getting the "insert disc" error. Tried to clean it but it won't recognize the cleaning disc. From what we've read we're sunk but just thought we'd add to the # of reviews as a warning to anyone looking at this product.

Submitted by JaniceKLA a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the same problem many have described in these reveiw. It will not read any discs. Very frustrating to have invested in this thinking it would last me awhile. I did the one of the few earlier positive reviews under "Janice". Disregard that review, please.

Purchased At:   Tweeter