Toshiba SD-3107 DVD Players

3.83/5 (12 Reviews)

DVD PLAYER

Submitted by Don Farra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
At the time I purchased this DVD player it was one of the best in it's price range. Even compared to today's DVD players it can hold it's own, except in terms of price and speed of operation. The only reason I would get a different DVD player would be for the DVD audio and progressive scan attributes, like those found on the JVC XV-D721B running for about $399 at Crutchfield. Otherwise I would not imagine letting this one go. The CD sound quality is equal to or better than my top end Sony CD payer and the video quality is far better than my Pioneer LD player. If you run across one these units on the used market you should give it careful consideration. Bottom line: I have no regrets buying this SD-3107 Toshiba DVD player.

Purchased At:   Fry's electronics

Submitted by Kelly a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this player for almost three years and it has never given me a problem. It works like a charm. I like the picture quality from the component video outputs and sounds is passed a little better from the coax digital jack versus the spdif output.

It is passable as a cd audio player. If you burn cd's make sure you burn it a 1X and on the darkest disk you can find. Then it will play them. Low quality cdr's just won't work.

I hear they are dirt cheap to purchase if you can find them now. I have enjoyed this player and will continue to use it as a secondary player in my home.

Purchased At:   local electronics store

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I agree with everyone from before that the CD playback on this machine is pretty bad. Also, I did have the same problem with the CD stopping for no reason.

However, for DVD use, since that is what it is intended for, it was better. The picture quality was excellent. I have only store models and my friends older Sony to compare to, but I think the video quality is great. However, I had problems with my unit from the beginning, the audio was cutting out constantly while watching a DVD. So I sent it back. I'm going to look for a newer unit.

Paid $171 total from Ubid for a refurb. I know everyone says they rip you off on shipping which is true. However, I was surprised w/their customer service responded so well to my problems, they are going to pay for my return shipping and give me a complete refund. The toshiba warranty center wanted me to drive two hours or pay to ship the unit myself, and then they would "look at it." Anyway, I was impressed with the way they responded to my problems.

I give a value rating of 5 b/c of price and features, but overall rating of 3 since it is an older unit and I had problems.

Submitted by Martijn Goudkamp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought the player second-hand in Holland. Upgraded the
software thru a PC link-cable. That's easy. Modded it
for PAL support, since it's the US version.
Screen quality is supurb ! No black-noise. Cool machine
with beautiful quality. CD sound is to loud, doesn't
sound to good. But who cares, it's movie-machine.

Submitted by Sidney Sison a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
At first I was very satisfied with the purchase until my unit started malfunctioning. I watched many discs flawlessly until one disc caused it to stop. After that, all discs start to stop after about 5 minutes of play or about 3 tracks later. I've taken in for repair only to be told that it works fine. The only servicing performed by them was the lens cleaning. After playing it again it shuts off again. The service people (not associated with Toshiba) said that it is probably a virus bug. Is this possible? Its not a computer or is it? Anybody with any similar problems please let me know. Right now my unit is being used as a CD player only in my home office.

Award-Winning Axiom: